Suspended ceiling nm cable

Jpflex

Electrician big leagues
Occupation
Electrician commercial and residential
I want to run nm cable Romex stapled on top of a suspended ceiling in a small office within a lab building but I believe I may hit a code violation for this section of lowered roofing within the larger lab building

If this is a violation would I have to have emt all the way? A wall receptacle existing will power a plug connected florescent light from a single gang switch connected by emt and metal box

Attachments

• CCF4C06E-12E1-44AE-A4C5-B2BA593136D7.jpeg
    CCF4C06E-12E1-44AE-A4C5-B2BA593136D7.jpeg
    64 KB · Views: 19

Jpflex

Electrician big leagues
Occupation
suspended ceiling is drywalled unfortunately so I’ll have to find stud/ plates

Attachments

• C834A668-DDA0-48CF-A098-266AD95A50EA.jpeg
    C834A668-DDA0-48CF-A098-266AD95A50EA.jpeg
    75.6 KB · Views: 14

Jpflex

Electrician big leagues
Occupation
Suspended ceiling needs MC at the minimum unless a 1 or 2 family dwelling. If it's a second hard ceiling with a 15min rating then you have a maybe but just do MC.
Thanks I ran mc cable instead. Is AC cable similar to MC cable other than EGC being bare or non insulated?

letgomywago

Occupation
residential electrician
Thanks I ran mc cable instead. Is AC cable similar to MC cable other than EGC being bare or non insulated?
AC cable will have the sheath be the ground and it'll have an aluminum bond strip and paper packing. Canadian AC I think has a bare ground I'm not sure. There's MCap that has a full sized aluminum bond wire that you cut at the connector and it bonds through the sheath and then theres hospital grade thatll have both to meet redundant ground requirements. Normal MC will be what you see the most.

Jpflex

Electrician big leagues
Occupation
AC cable will have the sheath be the ground and it'll have an aluminum bond strip and paper packing. Canadian AC I think has a bare ground I'm not sure. There's MCap that has a full sized aluminum bond wire that you cut at the connector and it bonds through the sheath and then theres hospital grade thatll have both to meet redundant ground requirements. Normal MC will be what you see the most.
Speaking of redundant ground or isolated ground. I have to install a special 240 volt NEMA 6-15R receptacle with an isolated ground for a particle analyzer in a lab. Isn’t this standard EGC for bonding portion of circuit plus an additional fully insulated and isolated ground wire to isolation ground pin all the way to neutral bus?

letgomywago

Occupation
residential electrician
Speaking of redundant ground or isolated ground. I have to install a special 240 volt NEMA 6-15R receptacle with an isolated ground for a particle analyzer in a lab. Isn’t this standard EGC for bonding portion of circuit plus an additional fully insulated and isolated ground wire to isolation ground pin all the way to neutral bus?
Yes look up Hospital grade MC ap