swimming pool equipotential bonding and gas meter

Status
Not open for further replies.

powerdan

Occupation
electrician
this is what I am looking to do,

a friend has installed a 2pound gas meter. But the gas meter is located at the south tip of the property outside the fence 10 ft near the street and sidewalk. So from the gas meter location, the gas line goes under earth appx 40 ft east over to the pool equipment location and they stubbed up with the gas above the ground for the pool heater. Go north another 80 ft under earth and the gas pops up and is attached to the side of the house now and then runs east for app 40 ft then turns north for appx 20 ft and then enters the house structure and goes inside an exposed concrete unfinished basement then to the kitchen appx 15ft along the top of metel air conditioning ductwork but the gas line that touches the ductwork is flexable with a black "pvc" coating! All gas lines and gas meter installed at the house just this past year.

The main electrical service panel 200 amp square d breaker box is located about 15 ft away from where the flexible gas line ends at the kitchen floor. All hard pipe gas line black iron as usual except for that flexible gas line that was ran from the unfinished basement to the kitchen over the pre-existing a.c. ductwork and the underground flexible gas line.

I have read thru the code 250.104b but here is my "question"::: all new homes get a #4 awg copper bonding wire at the load side of the gas meter before the hard black iron gas pipe enters the house, but however the main electrical service panel, is located over 250 ft away from the gas meter. The gas meter is located on the other side of the wood fence appx 10 ft from side walk and street. The main electrical box is new and has been changed out due to age and new size needed. If the gas meter had been install up front near the electrical service on the house, I'd run the #4 awg copper bonding wire over to the gas meter and not have to question this because I have never had this type of gas meter to electrical meter relationship in distance. The distance of the gas meter from the house is the matter at hand. The gas meter is located over 250ft away ...that's so far away from the main electrical service equipment!!! Plus part of the gas line runs along the house on the plank siding exterior of house for at least 50 linier feet! And the first place where the gas pipe lands is over at the pool motor. The gas line in the earth is buried at 24 to 28 inches and is flexible gas line in a yellow jacket. The gas contractor desided to allow the black iron gas line to be touching the poored concrete in the concrete foundation that the pool heater and pool pump sit on. So the black pipe gas line is in direct contact with the concrete that the pool pump and poll heater sit on. The pool pump location sits appx 18 linier feet from the swimming pool inner wall.

So I know that u can speculate as to what u will do if it were your pool and house ONLY!. I have read and understand all the terms and conditions of mikeholt.com and agree to be bound thereby forever.

That being given now, please help me!
Potential answers:

1: My first thought was to run a #4awg copper wire all the way back to the gas meter from the electrical service panel over 250 ft away and connect to the " load" side of the gas meter to satisfy an "inspector" as normal.

2: bond the incoming gas line to the pool heater by taking off the cover to the pool heater and connecting the same #8 awg bare copper inside the pool heater equipment at the gas pipe directly onto the gas line and then re install the pool heater covert. As of right now, I connected a #8 awg bare copper bonding wire to the pool heater from my #8 awg bare copper that is connected to my equipotential bonding grid surrounding the pool in one complete loop located appx18 inches from pool wall and attaches at at least 6 points of the pre-existing pool shell rebate and the 3ft #8copper grid ( 12" x 12" inch square copper grid 3ft wide layers flat all around the whole pool as specified in NEC article 680.26. So I am thinking to attach that same #8 bonding wire to the pool heater and also the incoming gas line to satisfy an "inspector".

i am specifically writting this to address two separate issues of the gas line bonding at: #1. the gas line located at and in the concrete location of the gas pool heater located on the equipotential plane of the swimming pool and #2. the gas line bonding relative to the main electrical service panel...

and after reading relative code, i am looking for help concerning the gas line and how the gas line specificly: #1. relates to the equipotential plane of the swimming pool since the metal gas pipe enters and touches the equipotential plane by making contact with the concrete. My first thought is to connect my equipotential #8 awg bonding conductor to the incoming gas line located on the pool heater that bonds and connects the pool gas heater to the equipotential plane.

As for my #2. request in reference to how the gas meter pipe on load side of the gas meter gets bonded back at the main electrical service over 250 ft away from the house, please make a comment. The inspectors have us put a #4 awg copper bonding wire on the load side of the gas meter, but my question is related directly to the 250 ft distance that the gas meternally is located away from the house. This 250 ft distance is a long distance and I have never seen something like this.

Since the metal gas line runs along the house some 50 ft after the great distance from the gas meter location and is first stub up for gas supply to the pool equipment area and then ran to the house, I thought that some added input will be required since this is a first for me.

Also, my equipotential bonding grid is complete. I have gone thru all videos and downloadable off documents avalible for free that relate to swimming pools at mikeholt.com!!!!!!!!

Thank God for mike Holt...my hero. We did not have the internet and you-tube when I started out in the electrical industry in 1990's and it's such an amazing and powerful tool to have access to his data documents and videos!

Please reply with what ever u want to say. I currently don't have my membership paid at nfpa to ask the Electrical Engineers at NFPA my questions that I ask here at the mikeholt website and I am also wandering if u do calls and what if any coaching assistance if possible over the phone for a duty free donation in advance of any phone calls or talk time. Have a good day! :)dan

Ps. I am not looking for advice. Specualtion only. I know that we live in a world where everyone wants to blame someone for their problems and I don't do that So any speculation is welcome and if u have a request for a donation, please tell me what that looks like.

Gratitude

Status
Not open for further replies.