Swimming Pool Gfci Protection 680.22(C) 2011NEC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
The 2011 did a rewrite of article 680.22(C) and moved it to 680.21(C). I believe the intent was to make all pumps rated 20 amps or less to be GFCI protected whether cord & plug or direct wiring. Here is the rewrite:

680.21(C) --Formerly 680.22(C)--GFCI Protection. Outlets supplying pool pump motors connected to single-phase, 120 volt through 240 volt branch circuits, rated 15 or 20 amperes, whether by receptacle or by direct connection, shall be provided with ground-fault circuit interrupter protection for personnel.

If the pump is rated 12 amps then we can use a #12 wire at 75C and install a 25 or 30 amp breaker based on 250% in art 430. and thus does not need GFCI protection because the circuit is rated 25 amps. Is that correct?

xformer

Occupation
Master Electrician
I would say no because the word "rating" in the code section cited does nor correspond to the branch circuit, it relates back to the motor...

krisinjersey

Outlets

Outlets

The first word of that section is Outlets, so I take that as meaning outlets. but the second part is whether direct wired or cord and plug connected, so does that mean the "outlet" is direct wired or cord and plug connected? If the pump is direct wired there would be no oulet so where is the need for GFCI protection?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
The "rating" of the branch circuit is determined by the OCP device.
210.3 Rating.
Branch circuits recognized by this article shall be rated in accordance with the maximum permitted ampere rating or setting of the overcurrent device.

So I would say the 25 or 30 amp OCP "trumps" the 12 amp motor rating, and, as good of an idea that the GFCI would be, it's not required.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Is it really worth splitting hairs over?
Well, yes. especially if it was written to avoid this.

The first word of that section is Outlets, so I take that as meaning outlets. but the second part is whether direct wired or cord and plug connected, so does that mean the "outlet" is direct wired or cord and plug connected? If the pump is direct wired there would be no oulet so where is the need for GFCI protection?

Read the definition of outlet in the NEC. It does not have to be a receptacle to be an outlet.

Outlet. A point on the wiring system at which current is taken to supply utilization equipment.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
I can only go by what the book says ;)

Yeah, that's the problem.

It seems the intent of this change was to include 208V motors which apparently were unintentionally excluded in the last code cycle. So I guess one could circumvent the NEC and install a 25amp cb and not have gfci.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Gus, are you referring to art. 210.3? That is for branch circuits in that article (article 210). Is there another section that states otherwise?

From your logical standpoint, I think there should be, but I have not found it.

Status
Not open for further replies.