mike1061

Just in case a picture of the burnt splice helps anything

Attachments

• 947582F2-E49D-4250-A5F8-1980547F1B04.jpeg
    947582F2-E49D-4250-A5F8-1980547F1B04.jpeg
    737.3 KB · Views: 29

mike1061

@mike1061,

I meant the transformer's internal protection you spoke of in an earlier post. I assumed it's on the primary winding side. Your second photo verified it is.

Thanks again. I never thought about how that worked. In my mind that was on the secondary side. If you think about it, it should be on the primary.

synchro

Occupation
EE
The secondary conductors look like #8 in 3/4” EMT, with insulation that is thick and feels like TW.?
This is just a shot in the dark, but is the wire more finely stranded than common building wire that has 19 strands? If so then normal wirenuts are not an approved connection, and perhaps they may not work as well with fine stranding.

I think finely stranded wire is more prone to corrosion issues outdoors because it can more easily wick up moisture, it has more surface area etc. It's also more difficult to clean off any corrosion on fine strands.

Just throwing this out there as something that might be related to the connection problems that are occuring.

mike1061

This is just a shot in the dark, but is the wire more finely stranded than common building wire that has 19 strands? If so then normal wirenuts are not an approved connection, and perhaps they may not work as well with fine stranding.

I think finely stranded wire is more prone to corrosion issues outdoors because it can more easily wick up moisture, it has more surface area etc. It's also more difficult to clean off any corrosion on fine strands.

Just throwing this out there as something that might be related to the connection problems that are occuring.
I appreciate the thought but it looks like standard strands.
Thanks

Metallicbeing

Occupation
Electrician
If your splices are burning up, then you have too much resistance at your spices (Resistance leads to heating). Wirenuts may not be an appropriate splicing method in this case. Because of the corrosive nature of the area, I would suggest one of these:

Don't forget to use some Dielectric Compound to seal out moisture.

mike1061

If your splices are burning up, then you have too much resistance at your spices (Resistance leads to heating). Wirenuts may not be an appropriate splicing method in this case. Because of the corrosive nature of the area, I would suggest one of these:

Thanks.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician

The Polaris splices have dielectric compound already inside them.

Status
Not open for further replies.