Swimming pool low voltage lighting - GFCI?

Status
Not open for further replies.

superduty1

My apologies ahead of time if this should have gone in a different forum category.

My question is in regards to low voltage lighting in a pool in terms of GFCI. The low voltage lighting is powered through a transformer such as https://www.hayward-pool.com/pdf/manuals/Low-Voltage-Pool-Transformer.pdf If I understand correct it isn't necessary to have a GFCI breaker powering the transformer. Am I correct that the pool listed transformers are built in such a way that it is impossible for the high voltage to get into the low voltage wiring?

JFletcher

You do not need GFCI protection on pool lights operating at 15V or less. That said, you probably need GFCI protection for the receptacle the xfmr is plugged into since it's outside, in a crawlspace, etc. You dont have to use a GFCI breaker; a GFCI receptacle is fine.

and yes, I also get the impression that pool rated xfmrs are failsafe in that if they fail, the secondary cannot be energized at line voltage. see 680.23.

There is nothing wrong with exceeding code by supplying ground fault protection where it isn't required.

Status
Not open for further replies.