Switch gear load/unload switch

Learn the NEC with Mike Holt now!
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chillmattic

Occupation
Turbine Operator
First time I wasn't exactly sure what to do. Generally we bring the electric load down to 1/4 MW then turn generator shut down switch. That will trip the breaker. But there is a load/unload switch that will unload and open the breaker. Is that what the switch is for?

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
As I’ve seen it, the “Load” switch usually says “Load Bank” and is controlling a contactor that connects a load bank (resistor grid) to the generator to exercise it. It’s done on standby generators for things like pump stations where you can’t guarantee to have a load ready when it’s time to do routine generator exercising for the required amount of time.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Is this a standby generator? That nameplate is a little lacking to what I'm used to, but that's what it looks like to me. Quarterly unloaded tests, annual loaded exercise runs.

Chillmattic

Occupation
Turbine Operator
No it's not stand by. There are 3 diesel generators 5 MW all together. We use them for electrical curtailments and emergencies. I operate a 28 MW turbine/gen we also have a 10 MW turbine gen. And still bring in 9MW from utility.

Status
Not open for further replies.