Switch install, who is right

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
The NEC allows the switch to be grounded when using metal screws attached to a grounded metal box. The requirement to remove the plastic washers holding the screws, using switches with self grounding clips or using a bonding jumper are simply not in the NEC when the switch is attached to a box that is metallic and grounded.

I know what the section you quoted says - it does not specifically address the situation of the OP where the metal box is recessed (assuming less than 1/4 inch) and the switch yoke is not seated tight to the box. What is your opinion on that situation? Before NEC required yoke to be grounded in all installs I say don't worry about it with non metallic plate, now I usually connect an EGC just in case inspector does not think it is sufficient although if the screws are tight against the yoke I really feel it is bonded well enough, but that is just my personal opinion.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I know what the section you quoted says - it does not specifically address the situation of the OP where the metal box is recessed (assuming less than 1/4 inch) and the switch yoke is not seated tight to the box. What is your opinion on that situation? Before NEC required yoke to be grounded in all installs I say don't worry about it with non metallic plate, now I usually connect an EGC just in case inspector does not think it is sufficient although if the screws are tight against the yoke I really feel it is bonded well enough, but that is just my personal opinion.

IMO it's not really my opinion. The section is clear "The switch is mounted with metal screws to a metal box or metal cover". A metallic Gem box, as mentioned in the OP, requires only metal screws to ground the switch. The section says nothing about set back, removing plastic washers or anything other than metal screws. I agree that screws tightened against the yoke are sufficient but the NEC doesn't even say that they need to be tight. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.