switch location for required lighting outlet

Status
Not open for further replies.

SEO

Really?
Re: scenario if someone is in the shower?

I agree there are a lot of scenarios but you have to have substantiation and prove to the code panels that there needs to be a change. Submit a proposal and see what kind of reply you get back. Good luck!

eprice

Correct me if I'm wrong, (which I am sure no one will hesitate to do:)), but aren't things like this covered in building codes?

As far as I know, the closest the code comes to doing this is in the International Energy Conservation Code (which may or may not be adopted in your area). Section 505.2.1 of that code requires that the switch be located in the area served or if located some where else it must be identified as to what light(s) it controls and must indicate the status of the light(s). I'm not sure what that last part means, but maybe a marked "on" and "off" would satisfy the requirement?

celtic

Exactly.
I would think that there is a good possibilty that while dad is in the shower the kids might think its a 'real funny joke' to turn off the lights on him...and when he trips and breaks his neck to get to the light switch whos funny now?
The same scenario could be applied to any habitable room...kind of on the lines of the disconnect being "within sight"
Is this not a "safety" issue? Hard to believe something this simple has not been addressed. Design issue??

Along those lines...they should ban the sale of lighters at gas stations....some prankster might try and light his friends car up :roll:

You can't mandate people think and not be stupid.

iwire

Staff member
Exactly.
I would think that there is a good possibility that while dad is in the shower the kids might think its a 'real funny joke' to turn off the lights on him

Yeah, the kids would never just open the door and switch the light off to mess with Dad. :grin:

I guess we need to also require EBUs in dwelling unit bathrooms in case of utility failure.

If anyone can provide some substantiation that this has really been causing trouble maybe I would reconsider.

Keep in mind 90.1(A) 'the practical safeguarding of ........

480sparky

Yeah, the kids would never just open the door and switch the light off to mess with Dad. ........

When I was a young'un, I'd put the 3-way opposite the primary entrance to a room in the middle. This prevented the other 3-way from working.

iwire

Staff member
When I was a young'un, I'd put the 3-way opposite the primary entrance to a room in the middle. This prevented the other 3-way from working.

Yeah, been there before.:grin:

These where also a fun way to mess with Mom and Dad

nfss_2067_50726659

iwire

Staff member
am i missing something here the way i read 210-70 a1 light switch shall be installed IN every habitable room & bathroom

Your not missing something, your adding something that is not there.:)

A wall switch controlled lighting outlet shall be installed in each room.

The requirement is for the outlet, not the switch.

switchleg45

yeah..I guess if he didn't lock the door to keep the little ones out then, yeah.
but then why do we write some codes on the "possibility" or "potential" of something injurious happening to some poor slob then on other issues we have to wait until someone (or many...or hundreds, etc) actually gets killed/injured? I guess it just depends on which material manufacturer is at the table!
We are all lazy sheeple.

Last edited by a moderator:

R Bob

One problem would be a bathroom with the switch located outside the room which could be turned off while someone was in the bathtub.

From what I've seen, this appears to be the design standard in Europe. Not to mention toggle up=off and toggle down=on.

knickelj

If there was a requirement to install a switch within sight of the area served would there be an exception for exterior lighting or would we be putting W/P switch covers outside the building for the neighbor kids to turn on? Without looking it up isn?t there a requirement for attics with equipment?

cowboyjwc

Staff member
If there was a requirement to install a switch within sight of the area served would there be an exception for exterior lighting or would we be putting W/P switch covers outside the building for the neighbor kids to turn on? Without looking it up isn?t there a requirement for attics with equipment?

Exterior lighting attached to a building must be high efficacy, or controlled by a motion sensor with intergral photocontrol.

iwire

Staff member
In CA the switch must be located within sight of the lights it controls and on the other side of a door is not considered within sight.

Yeah, but CA is just small state with low population, what the heck do they know?

I hear they elected Arnold S. but that can't be true ....... who would assume Arnold to have a mind?:grin:

marti smith

Without looking it up isn?t there a requirement for attics with equipment?

knicklej: It is 210.70 (A)(3) [2008]:grin:

I like to add a gfci there, too, as I may be the one who needs it in 10 years!:grin:

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Yeah, but CA is just small state with low population, what the heck do they know?

I hear they elected Arnold S. but that can't be true ....... who would assume Arnold to have a mind?:grin:

Hey, we've had two actors as governor, and a couple that acted like ones. You leave our governator alone.:grin:

cowboyjwc

Staff member
How do you turn on lot lighting in a big box store?

They have to have a certified lighting control system and areas ove 5000 sq ft are required to have overrides for the areas. The idea is pretty simple, if you're working in the office after closing you don't need all of the lights on, and as you are shutting down, the reason for the switch location is so that you know you've turned off all the lights.

Status
Not open for further replies.