switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

HOGO.

Hi

I have 3 phase squirrel Cage motor with hermetically seal motor protector(switch) and I need to use this motor to drive hydraulic pump in C1D2 location .
so , can I use this motor with this switch in C1D2???

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
Hi

I have 3 phase squirrel Cage motor with hermetically seal motor protector(switch) and I need to use this motor to drive hydraulic pump in C1D2 location .
so , can I use this motor with this switch in C1D2???
This sounds like you're trying to apply an IEC rated motor in an NEC installation. It's probably fine. Most NEMA motors won't use a integral motor protector switch for this application and I usually specify against it; they are rarely necessary with proper motor protection included in the starter.

HOGO.

This sounds like you're trying to apply an IEC rated motor in an NEC installation. It's probably fine. Most NEMA motors won't use a integral motor protector switch for this application and I usually specify against it; they are rarely necessary with proper motor protection included in the starter.

No, the motor is NEMA frame and the internal protector is hermetically sealed switch,
so, is there any problem to use it in C1D2?

HOGO.

Nope, no problem.

Thank you.
but there is no label or marking on the switch to indicate that'' this switch is hermetically sealed'' or this is rated for C1D2..
but based on switch construction, it is hermetically sealed and from manufacture datasheet we can find that is hermetally sealed.
what is you opinion??

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
Thank you.
but there is no label or marking on the switch to indicate that'' this switch is hermetically sealed'' or this is rated for C1D2..
but based on switch construction, it is hermetically sealed and from manufacture datasheet we can find that is hermetally sealed.
what is you opinion??
SO-why didn't you say all that in the first place? ;)

Nevertheless, the key term in the Section 501.125(B) clause "... unless such sliding contacts, switching mechanisms, and resistance devices are provided with enclosures identified for Class I, Division 2 locations in accordance with 501.105(B)" is identified (not listed or labeled). Since the switch is not specifically required to be listed or labeled and referring to Section 501.105(B)(1) Exception part (2), according to the manufacturer's datasheet, the contacts are hermetically sealed and are thus suitable (identified) for Class I, Division 2. See also Section 500.8(A)(3).

Status
Not open for further replies.