Switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwire

Staff member
You say rarely does lighting loads exceed 15 amps or something plugged into an outlet exceed 15 amps meaning it could happen, right?

And if it happens?

Worst case scenario the switch stops working.

Please consider this, there have been decades and decades of 15 amp switches being installed on 20 amp circuits. I don't see a trail of smoldering ruins. :)

You want something to ponder?:)

Check out exception 3 of 230.90(A) and consider the ramifications if the next installer does not do their due diligence before adding load.

The NEC expects that whoever is installing additional load to a service, a circuit, even a switch to do so following the rules of the NEC.

J

jonny1982

And if it happens?

Worst case scenario the switch stops working.

Please consider this, there have been decades and decades of 15 amp switches being installed on 20 amp circuits. I don't see a trail of smoldering ruins. :)

You want something to ponder?:)

Check out exception 3 of 230.90(A) and consider the ramifications if the next installer does not do their due diligence before adding load.

The NEC expects that whoever is installing additional load to a service, a circuit, even a switch to do so following the rules of the NEC.

Understood. Guess just one of those things I've always thought was inconsistent with the majority of the rest of the NEC. Oh well, I'm still using 20 amp devices on 20 amp circuits as long as not big price difference, but sounds like it is widely acceptable to use 15's.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.