switched conductor identification

Status
Not open for further replies.

toadie800

I have an electrical inspector requiring that the switchleg conductors we use be of the same phase color with a stripe down it. I have always used a pink or purple for switchlegs. I cannot seem to find anything in 210, 310 or 410. I don't have a problem with the part about a stripe down the same phase color of wire except for the lead time of getting that wire as the supply houses around here only stock green with yellow stripe. The inspector insists that it is a requirement in the code. Any thoughts?
btw the lead time for the striped wire is 5 days

toadie800

Thanks for the add. Yeah I've asked and asked where, and won't take the time to show. Ive had a master in the Denver area for 20+ years so I guess I'm going to have to go over his head. I don't like doing that but....

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Check this

210.5(C) Identification of Ungrounded Conductors. Ungrounded
conductors shall be identified in accordance with
210.5(C)(1) or (2), as applicable.
(1) Branch Circuits Supplied from More Than One
Nominal Voltage System. Where the premises wiring system
has branch circuits supplied from more than one nominal
voltage system, each ungrounded conductor of a branch
circuit shall be identified by phase or line and system at all
termination, connection, and splice points in compliance
with 210.5(C)(1)(a) and (b).
(a) Means of Identification. The means of identification
shall be permitted to be by separate color coding, marking
tape, tagging, or other approved means.
(b) Posting of Identification Means. The method utilized
for conductors originating within each branch-circuit
panelboard or similar branch-circuit distribution equipment
shall be documented in a manner that is readily available or
shall be permanently posted at each branch-circuit panelboard
or similar branch-circuit distribution equipment.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
IMO, if you don't have 2 voltage systems then phase coloring/marking is not required. Never done in single phase but often done with 3 phase

toadie800

This has 120/208-277/480 on it all the switching is 277v. Never have I been called on using the same color wire for the switching much less one with a stripe.

iwire

Staff member
This has 120/208-277/480 on it all the switching is 277v. Never have I been called on using the same color wire for the switching much less one with a stripe.

Again the strip is not a requirement, that is a choice.

But identifying conductors by phase is a requirment, the rules have changed a number of times over past code cycles but currently I agree with the inspector that switch legs need to be identified by phase.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

But identifying conductors by phase is a requirment, the rules have changed a number of times over past code cycles but currently I agree with the inspector that switch legs need to be identified by phase.

Could it still be a pink or purple conductor with a piece of phase tape? I would just use the same color as the hot leg.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Wouldn't you have to put that combination on the panelboard label?

It seems like an AHJ call.
I believe the identification method(s) must be on the label... but a "NOTE:" can be used. For example,
Typical phase identification by conductor insulation color. Phasing tape at terminations and junction boxes shall override identification by insulation color.

mwm1752

in general the grounded conductor in the branch circuit provides a clear identification with the voltage == white 120/240 -- grey 277/480 as examples most experienced electricians will recognize that -- I would suggest in order to simply be compliant with request - use the colors associated with the voltage - slide your sharpie down one side of the switch leg inside the j box min 6" & move on, sharpies are readily available & cheap -- I always have put a curl loop in the switch leg for identification & never had issues. I can't think of a code that requires lighting switch legs to be identified just the voltages when 2 or more are present.

toadie800

Seems to me that would be acceptable by putting pink or purple on the labeling while using the circuit number tag on the wire would be acceptable. We use numbers for everything anyway for circuit id. So yeah to me pink or purple would still be viable as long as it is identified.

Status
Not open for further replies.