Switches In Parallel

Status
Not open for further replies.

gar

Occupation
EE
139506-0801 EDT

Post 5
I have 3 seperate machines. Each machine can turn on the same light (hypothetical). Before any of the 3 machines can turn on the light, a control signal must first be sent to the "light".

So it is a 2 step operation. Control signal from any 1 of the 3 machines, and then another signal from any of the 3 machines to allow the light be illuminated to the individual machine. 1 light, 3 machines, 1 central control solenoid, 3 seperate supply solenoids (1 for each machine). All three machines can be illuminated from the single light source at the same time.

I would like to have the initial control switch located on each machine. I am getting tripped up a bit on how to get 3 seperate machines to access 1 solenoid. I worry about all three switches being on at the same time. It would probably be easiest to just have the control switch on 1 of the machines. The control voltage to the solenoid is 120V.

Any thoughts guys is appreciated. Thanks again.​
This post does not seem to clearly define what is wanted.

What is an "initial control" switch?
What is or why is "a 2 step operation" needed?
What is a "control signal", what creates it?
What is "another signal"?

Then this sentence
Control signal from any 1 of the 3 machines, and then another signal from any of the 3 machines to allow the light be illuminated to the individual machine.
"the light" seems to imply one light for the three machines, and the last sentence of the second paragraph says one light illuminates all three machines. Further the word "allow" seems to imply there is something else that may control the light. In other words, the the two said signals are only enablers. That is, the two signals are conditions to allow something else to control the light.

All three machines can be illuminated from the single light source at the same time.
I believe this sentence means --- "The single light source" is used to illuminate all three machines.

Assuming "the single light source" is the light source for the three machines, then the question is "what is the logical description for the control of said light"?

I have previously assumed, because the statement of the goal is not clear, that this logic is "the said single light is on when any one or more machines are on". This assumption may not be correct based on whatever the "2 step operation" is.

There has been no precise clarification of what is the desired logical operation of the circuit.

kwired

Electron manager
139506-0801 EDT

Post 5This post does not seem to clearly define what is wanted.

What is an "initial control" switch?
What is or why is "a 2 step operation" needed?
What is a "control signal", what creates it?
What is "another signal"?

Then this sentence "the light" seems to imply one light for the three machines, and the last sentence of the second paragraph says one light illuminates all three machines. Further the word "allow" seems to imply there is something else that may control the light. In other words, the the two said signals are only enablers. That is, the two signals are conditions to allow something else to control the light.

I believe this sentence means --- "The single light source" is used to illuminate all three machines.

Assuming "the single light source" is the light source for the three machines, then the question is "what is the logical description for the control of said light"?

I have previously assumed, because the statement of the goal is not clear, that this logic is "the said single light is on when any one or more machines are on". This assumption may not be correct based on whatever the "2 step operation" is.

There has been no precise clarification of what is the desired logical operation of the circuit.

You are correct about it not clearly telling us what was wanted. My picture of what was wanted was possibly some kind of indicator such as an alarm or maybe just a "run" indicator that is triggered by either or all of the three machines in some way, then a couple people have mentioned a light for illumination purposes which never crossed my mind when he was describing things.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
You are correct about it not clearly telling us what was wanted. My picture of what was wanted was possibly some kind of indicator such as an alarm or maybe just a "run" indicator that is triggered by either or all of the three machines in some way, then a couple people have mentioned a light for illumination purposes which never crossed my mind when he was describing things.
Somewhere in the discussion, I surmised he wanted to energize a solenoid but was using a light as a substitute for the sake of discussion. After going back to post #5 and rereading it (several times :eek:hmy:) I'm now more inclined to think he's referring to a relay (or contactor) as a solenoid... and one relay operates to turn a light on and off. Uncertain at this point whether this particular "solenoid" is actually necessary, but he says it's 120V.

I could speculate further, but in short, there are at least two people confused in Ohio :lol:

What needs to happen is fifty60 needs to provide with the big picture and then we can hone in on the circuitry details. To start with a big picture description, I think I'd be correct in saying he has 3 cord-and-plug connected machines and one light that he wants to turn on and off.

Some big picture questions needing answered:

What action turns the light on and off? For example, human operator or machine function.

Machine/receptacle/outlet powered by 120V, 208V, 240V, ..., 480V... 2-wire, 3-wire, 4-wire (not counting grounding conductor/blade)?

Light details... cord-and-plug connected or hardwired? Powered by 120V, 208V, 240V, ..., 480V... 2-wire, 3-wire, 4-wire (not counting grounding conductor/blade)?

Status
Not open for further replies.