Not open for further replies.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Scenerio......Floods on front of house controlled by a switch at front door
Floods on back of house controlled by switch at back door
Both on different circuits

Is there a way, without running wires, to switch/control all lights from same location?

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Is there a way, without running wires, to switch/control all lights from same location?
Absolutely, by using a pair of programmable smart wall switch/transmitter/receiver units that will each control its light, transmit a signal when switched, and receive the signal and control its light.

There are some that ca be controlled from your phone, a key fob, or voice command. I'm not real familiar with brands and models; other members will be.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Absolutely, by using a pair of programmable smart wall switch/transmitter/receiver units that will each control its light, transmit a signal when switched, and receive the signal and control its light.

I'm not real familiar with brands and models; other members will be.
I thought about if you replaced each switch with a Caseta wireless switch then put the PICO remotes together at one location, you could control them that way. Or put the PICO for the opposite lights at opposite locations, ie; front lights PICO at back door, back PICO at front door.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
With the Caseta, you can pair one pico with multiple wired units, and multiple picos to one wired unit

If you wanted to, you could have wired switch at front door control only front, with Pico next to it to control all.

Then at back door, same. Wired unit to control only back, then Pico next to it to control all.

You just pair both Picos to both wired units

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
With the Caseta, you can pair one pico with multiple wired units, and multiple picos to one wired unit

If you wanted to, you could have wired switch at front door control only front, with Pico next to it to control all.

Then at back door, same. Wired unit to control only back, then Pico next to it to control all.

You just pair both Picos to both wired units
Isn't that what I said in post #3?
Are you saying you can program one Pico for two different wired units? How would that work? When you program the PICO for a wired unit I thought that was it. Looks like if you took it to the other wired switch and program it for that one it would erase the 1st one?

James L

Occupation
Electrician
Isn't that what I said in post #3?
Are you saying you can program one Pico for two different wired units? How would that work? When you program the PICO for a wired unit I thought that was it. Looks like if you took it to the other wired switch and program it for that one it would erase the 1st one?
Not what you said in post #3

You can pair multiple Picos across multiple wired Caseta. You simply go through the pairing process with whatever remote you want to join with whatever wired unit you want.

One pico can be paired with up to 10 Casetas
One Caseta can be paired with up to 10 Pico
In any number of combinations you want
You just go through the pairing process each time, and they will still remember previous pairings

You have to go through an un-pairing process to make them forget

Here are an example of how I've cross-paired:

In a kitchen with 3 different accent lighting schemes - back bar toe kick, beverage counter toe kick, glass-door display cabinet - I used 3 plug-in Caseta dimmers with 4 Picos. Each dimmer got paired to a solo Pico, then the 4th Pico got paired to all 3 dimmers.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
Another way you could do this is with Philips Hue outdoor flood lamps. You will also need a hue bridge.

Then use the Hue switch module wired into any mechanical switch, link them in the app, and you're done. You will bypass the wiring to the floodlight fixture around the switch so its always hot.

I've had Hue floodlights around my house for a year or so now and have liked them. They are dimmable (from the app or their switch).

They also have an outdoor motion sensor that can control the floods.

And also you can use Siri w/ HomeKit, or Alexa & google home to control them.

Status
Not open for further replies.