Symbols I do not understand

Learn the NEC with Mike Holt now!
Status
Not open for further replies.

shade23

This drawing is of two heat tubes and two thermocouples. I do not understand the wiring detail on the "C" terminals. This is for a friend that is to build this. "A" and "B" is easy to understand but I have never seen symbols such as (Arcs, u's, upside down "J"s.) They may be monitoring the thermocouples and heaters. Please give me a place to start, thank you. thermo test.jpg

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Looks like the cable is three individually shield pairs with an overall shield under the outer jacket. The individual shields along with a connection from the overall shield are landed on the "C" terminals.

Sea Nile

Occupation
Electrician
Yes, it looks like 3 sets of wires,. Each set is individually shielded and there is another shield around all three, and all the shields are bonded together, most likely tied to egc.

Its not J's and U's, its a segments, like a dotted line. Imagine connecting the dots

But it's just speculation, I don't really know for sure.

shade23

Yes, it looks like 3 sets of wires,. Each set is individually shielded and there is another shield around all three, and all the shields are bonded together, most likely tied to egc.

Its not J's and U's, its a segments, like a dotted line. Imagine connecting the dots

But it's just speculation, I don't really know for sure.
To me it looked like a big loop cut into segments. Thanks

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
To me it looked like a big loop cut into segments. Thanks
That big loop cut into segments is how shields are typically shown on drawings. Often the loop is cut so that the lines from the loop never cross the circuit conductors. This one was drawn a bit differently and I am not sure why.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
That big loop cut into segments is how shields are typically shown on drawings. Often the loop is cut so that the lines from the loop never cross the circuit conductors. This one was drawn a bit differently and I am not sure why.
Yep. I typically use a dashed line for the shields and that may have been the intent here, but their CAD system had the segment lengths and spacings for dashed lines set too high.

Jpflex

Electrician big leagues
Occupation
Electrician commercial and residential
I’ve seen shield symbols look different in automotive Mitchell and all data diagrams. The line C ends in the symbol of what is typically open electrical contacts or in some cases capacitor plates if one line shorter than other

Status
Not open for further replies.