Synchronous Motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tkb

I have a customer that has a 350hp 4900v synchronous motor that he wants to soft start.
This has a DC motor-generator exciter.

Is this possible or am I wasting my time?

I have some photos of the equipment and motor nameplate.
They know this may be expensive.

They must start this motor several times a day and they want to soft start it to reduce the POCO demand.

http://s160.photobucket.com/albums/t181/tkb-photos/Electrical/synchronous%20motor/

Last edited:

boater bill

I would try contacting Robicon and Saftronics. They both have medium voltage soft-starters that should work in the application.

Are they using the syncronous motor for power factor correction also? That may affect the end application also.

Yes i did work on the synchronous motor few time.

In fact i just got replaced one with 800 HP size not too long ago have to rebuilt the control panel and the motor itself [ bented shaft ]

i think there is about 4 or so manufacter do make the VFD in this voltage range AB[ Allen-Bradey ] is one of them i know for sure CH/westinghouse os the other but the other i am not sure the other person did mention the two other manufacter as well [ i am not really famuair with other manufacter so i just can't really comment on that yet ]

what is the exsting starting now DOL [ dreict on line aka across the line ] autotransforemer , Y- detla starter ??

those info will help some of it

Merci, Marc

Status
Not open for further replies.