system drawings

Status
Not open for further replies.

bennie

Esteemed Member
Re: system drawings

Start with Webster's Dictionary.

A system drawing is a drawing of a whole.

A detail drawing is a specific component of a whole.

A system drawing can be a detail drawing.

A detail drawing can not be a system drawing.

[ May 19, 2003, 10:16 AM: Message edited by: bennie ]

bennie

Esteemed Member

Check the definition of "Premises wiring" in Article 100.

A system drawing is the entire premises wiring.

bphgravity

I do work for a facility that requires "system drawings" for all separate operations in one area. For example, I have diagrams and layouts of the lighting, one for general purpose circuits, one for each specialized equipment circuits, and so on.

This is a very large facility that requires such separation to avoid confusion and misidentification of circuits.

In regards to a single occupancy or a dwelling, I would consider the system drawings as being the wiring diagram updated to as built. :)

See 215.5 for NEC related requirements.

kholland

Yes, it was a question on an exam. But it was not multiple choice. It was an exam that was part of a job application. One of many I have come across...seems to be a trend. And I have no problem with that. It is fine with me.
The question was: What is contained in the "System Drawings"?
But after several weeks of searching for the answer I am flustered.

kholland

It seems too broad of a question. You have electrical systems, fire alarm systems, plumbing systems, roof systems, etc.
But, as the question is so broad, so should be the answer? "All the parts & components of the system"!!

peter

Ed,
I agree that exam questions are often vague or even worse. On a job application, I was faced with this question:
How many watts is 5 amps on a 120 volt circuit?
a) 1200
b) 1600
c) 2000
d) 2400
~Peter

tshephard

I had a freind (who recently died) came from electronics into machine control in a factory. He was shown a machine interlock drawing at the onterview (10 or 15 door switches in a line, -||--||--||-) and was asked about the circuit. Reply "You'll never get a signal thru all those caps!"

jrdsg

kholland may be on to something:

"It seems too broad of a question. You have electrical systems, fire alarm systems, plumbing systems, roof systems, etc..."

Low-voltage systems like voice/data/video, cctv, catv, home theater, etc., often appear in a subset of electrical drawings sometimes labelled "special systems" or something like that. the idea is, i suppose, to distinguish this stuff from typical lighting, hvac, etc. plans, since they are often bid and installed by a different contractor.

Status
Not open for further replies.