T8 LED replacement tubes -- with ballast

Status
Not open for further replies.

the blur

I'm replacing 500 T8 tubes, with LED tubes. Direct replacement, ballast voltage, ballast stays.

Question is, what happens when the T8 ballast fails in a few years...... which they all do. Do I replace it with another T8 ballast, or do they make specific LED ballast/drivers for these replacement tubes?

Electric-Light

I'm replacing 500 T8 tubes, with LED tubes. Direct replacement, ballast voltage, ballast stays.

Question is, what happens when the T8 ballast fails in a few years...... which they all do. Do I replace it with another T8 ballast, or do they make specific LED ballast/drivers for these replacement tubes?

not all are led compatible. how old are the ballasts?

majorminotaur

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
You need to replace with a similar electronic T8 ballast. It was designed for it and the fixture could be relamped with a fluorescent T8 in the future.

majorminotaur

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I was under the impression that some (most?) LED 4' lights worked off of one pin on each end, so the tombstones had to be shunted.

There are 3 types of LED 'T8' replacement lamps.
-Type that works with an existing T8 electronic ballast.
-Type that needs 120V input, and hence the ballast is cut out and the tombstones are shunted and connected to 120V. These have an internal driver.
-Type that has a remote driver. The ballast is cut out and the driver is put in its place.

of these, you can see that the first is the easiest to do, and the safest as well.

sparky1118

Occupation
Master Electrician

They make a replacement LED T8 that doesn't require a ballast. It runs off 120 volts straight. I've used alot of those. Why not use those so you don't have to worry about the ballast again?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Knick

They make a replacement LED T8 that doesn't require a ballast. It runs off 120 volts straight. I've used alot of those. Why not use those so you don't have to worry about the ballast again?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

What did you do when you had a fixture that was set up for Emergency lighting?

Electric-Light

What did you do when you had a fixture that was set up for Emergency lighting?

Some emergency ballasts are designed with LED drop-in compatibility. In other cases, they're basically a line voltage UPS with auxiliary contacts to dim down dimming ballasts while on battery power.

Status
Not open for further replies.