Take Home Test

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am a current student working towards my associates degree in Industrial Maintenance. I have a take home final in my basic electricity class. This question was asked on one of the earlier tests, I thought I had gotten it wrong, but according to my notes I did not. Can someone please verify my answer. I must state the article/table where I got the answer.

What is the minimum size grounding conductor permitted for grounding raceways of equipment of 80 amp circuit?

Answer: 8 awg NEC Table 250.66

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
I am a current student working towards my associates degree in Industrial Maintenance. I have a take home final in my basic electricity class. This question was asked on one of the earlier tests, I thought I had gotten it wrong, but according to my notes I did not. Can someone please verify my answer. I must state the article/table where I got the answer.

What is the minimum size grounding conductor permitted for grounding raceways of equipment of 80 amp circuit?

Answer: 8 awg NEC Table 250.66

# 8 Is corect but you have the wrong table look at ,Table 250.122 Minimum Size Equipment Grounding
Conductors for Grounding Raceway and Equipment:)

The other table is for ,Table 250.66 Grounding Electrode Conductor for
Alternating-Current Systems

I could use help on this one too...if you would be so kind as to point me in the right direction.

What colors are used for identifying the grounding conductors?

I remember reading an article that said something like "bare with greenish tint or green insulation" but I just can't seem to find it now

Article 200 covers grounded conductors not grounding conductors
Article 250.119 covers equipment grounding conductors

I know it's right in front of me, but I just do not see it !!!

Sean

Stevareno

I could use help on this one too...if you would be so kind as to point me in the right direction.

What colors are used for identifying the grounding conductors?

I remember reading an article that said something like "bare with greenish tint or green insulation" but I just can't seem to find it now

Article 200 covers grounded conductors not grounding conductors
Article 250.119 covers equipment grounding conductors

I know it's right in front of me, but I just do not see it !!!

Sean

It's there in 250.119. Grounding conductors can be bare, or if insulated or covered, have to be green or green with one or more yellow stripes.

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
250.119 Identification of Equipment Grounding Conductors.

Unless required elsewhere in this Code, equipment grounding conductors shall be permitted to be bare, covered, or insulated. Individually covered or insulated equipment grounding conductors shall have a continuous outer finish that is either green or green with one or more yellow stripes except as permitted in this section. Conductors with insulation or individual covering that is green, green with one or more yellow stripes, or otherwise identified as permitted by this section shall not be used for ungrounded or grounded circuit conductors.

Section 250.119 is for "Identification of Equipment Grounding Conductors", the question does not say "equipment" Is there another section that lists just grounding conductors or am I reading too much into the question?

Sean

It's there in 250.119. Grounding conductors can be bare, or if insulated or covered, have to be green or green with one or more yellow stripes.

Thank You for everyone's help, I see what I am doing. When I read "equipment" I was thinking a industrial machine. But after reading the definition of equipment in Article 100, I can see that the answer was right there in front of me. I was just reading too much into the question.

Sean

Status
Not open for further replies.