Take Off Phases

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Curious. When you have job with different phases do you take it off by phase and why? I do and have my reasons which I'll share but like to hear from others first. Thanks.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Do you have to demobilize after each phase? Can you do submittals for the whole project or do you have to submit for each phase? Can you make your buy outs for all phases all at one time? Are you going to have close out each phase individually? Is there a completion time for the whole project? There's a lot of variables that need to be considered.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Do you have to demobilize after each phase? Can you do submittals for the whole project or do you have to submit for each phase? Can you make your buy outs for all phases all at one time? Are you going to have close out each phase individually? Is there a completion time for the whole project? There's a lot of variables that need to be considered.
There are 9 phases throughout different floors. We don't have to demob from the job, only to get to phases.
Submittals and buyouts can be done at once. Each phase will have to be closed out separately.
Yes there is a completion time for entire job.

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
The question is hard to answer because it all depends on so many things. In general, I would "take off" each phase separately , but then again I take off every sheet separately and enter separately so that I can track costs. Unless I needed to provide a cost breakout, I would generally price fixtures and gear as a lump. With phases, if I needed to have fixtures delivered in phases, I would work with my supplier, taking care to clarify any escalation costs with the supplier and the Construction Manager. I would the assign global overhead costs and then individual overhead costs as applicable. Hope this helps.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
The question is hard to answer because it all depends on so many things. In general, I would "take off" each phase separately , but then again I take off every sheet separately and enter separately so that I can track costs. Unless I needed to provide a cost breakout, I would generally price fixtures and gear as a lump. With phases, if I needed to have fixtures delivered in phases, I would work with my supplier, taking care to clarify any escalation costs with the supplier and the Construction Manager. I would the assign global overhead costs and then individual overhead costs as applicable. Hope this helps.
Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.