Take offs

mannyb

Occupation
Electrician
I have never used any software for doing take offs. most of the companies I work with were small and projects not to large that could be done by hand, either way by hand or software, Does software leave any room for errors in take offs quanties for wire, conduit, fitting etc . When using a software for takeoffs does it calculate lenghts for wire, conduit, and fittings? as I mentioned Ive never used software for take offs and mostly done by hand, and yes trying to accuont for every lenght of wire, conduit, fittings from start to finish is time consuming. You always miss something. We do small conveince store/ fuel stations/leaase/offce space/etc so take offs arent that large but we do come out short sometimes on wire/conduit lenght and size that doesnt cost us the margins but I would like to get any feed back on how the rest of the shops minimize over or under buying. Any Advise helps Excuse my brief lazy post.

AC\DC

Occupation
EC
I use mine for the smallest of job can crank an estimate out in 4-5 minutes. Larger jobs maybe 15-20
I can use single item take off or assembly.
Assembly has multiple items in it like a 1/2 pvc has straps per foot with anchor included.
Ground rods comes with acorn and chunk of #4
Some times its better if I want to get estimates more competitive to use single take off so I can get the items I really need.

I tend to overbuy but I do the same type of work day in and day out so not really any waist.
The waist I have is cause I am to lazy to clean my pockets out and might throw a wire nut or strap away at end of day so that lazy employee lol

mannyb

Occupation
Electrician
I use mine for the smallest of job can crank an estimate out in 4-5 minutes. Larger jobs maybe 15-20
Assembly has multiple items in it like a 1/2 pvc has straps per foot with anchor included.
Some times its better if I want to get estimates more competitive to use single take off so I can get the items I really need.

I tend to overbuy but I do the same type of work day in and day out so not really any waist.
The waist I have is cause I am to lazy to clean my pockets out and might throw a wire nut or strap away at end of day so that lazy employee lol
Our shop is unique. We are a GC with Electrical contractor attached. Our estimators send quote and once approved., then we do take off on materials and expected for bid to fit the budget. I do my best and most of my time trying to figure the best way possible to manage and construct the job in budget.

mannyb

Occupation
Electrician
What program do you use? Is it epensive?

AC\DC

Occupation
EC
Mc cormick. To be honest I don't remember what I paid for. I don't do the upgrades like they ask me to do. Never see a reason do especially since they charge for them. But I am a small fry, so no need too.

cdslotz

Our shop is unique. We are a GC with Electrical contractor attached. Our estimators send quote and once approved., then we do take off on materials and expected for bid to fit the budget. I do my best and most of my time trying to figure the best way possible to manage and construct the job in budget.
You do a takeoff after the job is awarded?

mannyb

Occupation
Electrician
You do a takeoff after the job is awarded?
YES. I am given budget based of whats allocated for project for electrical. I know its dumb. At this point Im just looking for advise and solutions to our estimating process on electrical side of company. We are a 4yr old shop with lots of potential we just need to get better a tracking cost.

cdslotz

YES. I am given budget based of whats allocated for project for electrical. I know its dumb. At this point Im just looking for advise and solutions to our estimating process on electrical side of company. We are a 4yr old shop with lots of potential we just need to get better a tracking cost.
Got it.....A software program would be worth a lot to you. Yes they do account for wire makeup and feeder makeup. You can set those in the defaults. Conduit/wire runs are complete with anchors, fittings, boxes......whatever the height, difficulty, and condition. You can print bills of material, quote requests, labor codes.....etc.
In your case the more jobs you bid in your repetitive specialty will be saved and duplicated....this would be a game changer if you ask me.
I've used these over the last 20 years: