Taking current readings for new loads

Status
Not open for further replies.

__dan

It does comply but you are free to disagree. It gives me a useful and accurate number with documentation of the work that was done. I would say it shows legally diligent professional work. I would take it to the State Board and say the numbers are correct within the accuracy of the method used, that is, accurate enough to determine good from bad. When you get the spot on the State Board, you may tell me I am wrong and you are right:).

A data center is baseload. There is very little change up or down in the load. The load that is short cycling is a candidate for investigation. It can be improved.

__dan

Let's say the data center has 300 kW of connected Nortek electric humidifiers. In the summer when the humidity is regularly normal, peak load for all the Norteks is not much, let's say 25%. You want to add 10 hp of load downstream of the DP with the Norteks on it.

In the winter when it's normally always dry, the Norteks may run at 100% and the IT space is still less than setpoint. The Norteks cannot keep up running always at full, loaded on the DP.

Using my method, I knew I could not add another 10 hp. It was over the load calc. It also showed the Norteks were added illegally and loaded over the DP rating. The 30 day monitoring, while compliant, may miss the actual connected load.

iwire

Staff member
I was hoping to provide the 30 day reports but they sent another guy to pick up the recorders and the office downloaded the data. I doubt I will be able to get it.

jumper

30 day monitoring will miss seasonal differences and the like that are not "in season".

220.87 accounts for that.

The recording shall reflect the
maximum demand of the feeder or service by being taken
when the building or space is occupied and shall include by
measurement or calculation the larger of the heating or
cooling equipment load, and other loads that may be peri-
odic in nature due to seasonal or similar conditions

Status
Not open for further replies.