Taking your work to the next level

Status
Not open for further replies.

vilasman

This may sound like a stupid question, but I want to know what the more expierenced people have to say in response.
In doing electrical work....
when you get to high end work
It is assumed that you know the rules,
that you know how to wire,
that your stuff works when you are done,
that you know how to trouble shoot it without anybody knowing that you screwed up and fix it,
that your boxes have to be dead level and plumb,
your devices have to be dead level and plumb,
your lights if there are more than one in a room have to be symetrical or equidistant or what ever the case might be,
and that youor wall plates have to fit well and every switch plate screw in the joint needs to be turned in the same direction.
Along with anything else that comes under the heading of good and workman like order.

My question is what is the next level after that? Or is there one?
I have a client that is an anal retentive, perfectionistic, I dont care what you start with, it better at least look perfect when you finish, professionally trained Chef.
Money isnt a issue. It just better be flawless.
What does flawless consist of beyond what I listed at the outset?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Re: Taking your work to the next level

Bottom line, there are some who have expectations well above what you are contractually obligated to provide for the money they want to spend.

These same people want their plain VW to perform like a Posche at no additional cost. :roll:

Roger

jeff43222

If someone wants to pay top dollar for a remodel box install that leaves no gap whatsoever around the perfectly level and plumb box, I'd be happy to spend all the extra time chipping out the plaster one molecule at a time.

But if someone wants that at standard rates, it ain't gonna happen. Yeah, the box will be level, plumb, and solidly supported, but there will be some gaps.

vilasman

this is new construction, right now it is just an empty lot with some trees on it

luke warmwater

I would be very careful with this type of customer.

They will nickel and dime you to the point of frustration over petty things that you will not feel obligated to, but fear they will blemish your good name.

As detailed as your contract can be, they will still fight you on everything, and will dangle your reputation in front of you.

They're idea of perfect and your idea of perfect might not be the same.

apauling

i made sure my plates were plumb and tight, flush to the rock or plaster or wood. never did consider that the screw function was for more than a level of firmness. But I was told about a pet peeve by a customer. She didn't care if plates weren't plumb, but the screws had to be the same. I cracked a few plates that way and never bothered again. My jobs were clean, shop vac (little to big) and sometimes even a vacuum. My rock patches were flat, or near perfect texture matches. Sometimes I even matched paint. (mostly i never needed patches)

But I never did the all screws the same. Never, not even when they asked for it.

paul :)

jeff43222

I'm guessing that all your meaning is that they wanted all the screw heads oriented in the same direction. Yeah, I think that's one request I would pretty much always ignore.

hey_poolboy

When working for people of this nature it is imperative that you add an A.R.S. to your overhead.

That's the Anal Retentive Surcharge :D

edit for spelling

[ February 22, 2005, 06:59 PM: Message edited by: hey_poolboy ]

aelectricalman

Originally posted by jeff43222:
I'm guessing that all your meaning is that they wanted all the screw heads oriented in the same direction. Yeah, I think that's one request I would pretty much always ignore.
Really! I make it a point to align all of my external screw heads at 12:00. Straight up and down. They will not collect dust and its just one more thing that takes no additional time and makes your job look more professional. :D

vilasman

ok so there isnt much more that you can do
but the anal retentive surcharge is an idea that i will be using :)

speedypetey

I'm with aelectricalman. This is SOP for me. In fact the the description in the original post is a typical install for me, regardless if the job is $100 or $10,000. How can it be anyother way?

In a former life we had a customer like the one vilasman describes. All the EMT had to have the writing facing out, perfectly. This was fun with regard to bends. EVERY screw had to be perfect, not just plate screws. He even went so far as to have us get a waiver to use 20', 3" plumbing galv conduit for parallel service risers. They were 12' long and he DID NOT want couplings. The cost of correspondance was enought to turn a typical customer off, not this guy. Get this, the service was existing. We had a disconnect/reconnect from the drop, & replaced the conduit and weather heads.
This is a machine shop and you can eat off the floors. Every machine is spotless if not in use. He has a crew that has been with him a very long time. I guess once a guy stays that can put up with him he does what he needs to keep them.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

12:00 plate screws were practice from day one, never think about it anymore.

A question: Does anyone write into their tract home-ish contracts a "fudge factor" that lights will be within 5% of location specified on plans, or something like that? Slam-bam tract homes tend to get their bedroom lights a wee off center, whereas the customs are perfect, 'round here.

Just curious.

apauling

I started work with someone who left boxes a little far out of the wall. I was always trying to get the plates tight against the wall. I bottomed out screws all the time. gave up trying on that one, went for plumb, tight. If it was in the specs to start with as with speedy peety, okay, but no one ever got me to be that meticulous without paying for it. That's not a bid item, at least not a competitive bid item.

My brain isn't wired that way anymore. It may have been once. I have met guys who fold their dirty coveralls neatly after coming out of the crawl space, and put them in a plastic bag. more power to ya. I've walked faster and further with my shirt tail out, than any time when I made sure it was tucked in. Just a different mindset.

paul

kentirwin

RE: the screw orientation thing. I spent a few years working on some hospital jobs. In at least one of them it was spec'ed that the device plate screw slots would be vertical - less dust collection/contamination. Since that time its been an instinctive practice for me. :D

bigjohn67

We always put the screws in a horizontal position.
So many times the painter comes behind us to touch up and puts the plate back on.
Then we get the punch list and in general states: straighten all plates. Most that are not straight have been removed and replaced. How do we know, the screws are in different positions. Then we tell them: get the painter to straighten them they are the ones who took them off.

aelectricalman

Big John, I have to say that is the best idea I think ive heard in this forum.. It just hit me and i thought to myself, huh. Why didn't i think about that before. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.