Tamper Resistant Receptacles in offices

Status
Not open for further replies.

T74

Could someone help me clarify the the new code on tamper resistant receptacles in office spaces.

I don't have the book yet and i can't find anything useful online.

Thanks!

rcarroll

Could someone help me clarify the the new code on tamper resistant receptacles in office spaces.

I don't have the book yet and i can't find anything useful online.

Thanks!
Assuming you mean the 2017 NEC, TR receptacles are required in: Business offices, corridors, waiting rooms, and the like in clinics, medical & dental offices & outpatient facilities.
406.12(5) There are a few new others places required as well.

mopowr steve

Occupation
Electrical contractor
Assuming you mean the 2017 NEC, TR receptacles are required in: Business offices, corridors, waiting rooms, and the like in clinics, medical & dental offices & outpatient facilities.
406.12(5) There are a few new others places required as well.

So the real question is, is the office space your working on relate to a clinic, medical, dental or outpatient or daycare facility or dwelling?
If not your OK with regular receptacles.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
So the real question is, is the office space your working on relate to a clinic, medical, dental or outpatient or daycare facility or dwelling?
If not your OK with regular receptacles.
No. Under 2017 code if it's a 120V receptacle it is going to require a TR anywhere and everywhere and is no longer limited to child care areas and dwellings.

RICK NAPIER

No. Under 2017 code if it's a 120V receptacle it is going to require a TR anywhere and everywhere and is no longer limited to child care areas and dwellings.
Not quite everywhere.

406.12TR Receptacles
Dwelling units in all areas specified in 210.52 and 550.13
 Guest rooms and guest suites of hotels and motels
 Child care facilities Preschools and elementary education facilities
 Business offices, corridors, waiting rooms and the like in clinics, medical and dental officesand outpatient facilities
 Subset of assembly occupancies described in Article 518.2 to include places of waitingtransportation, gymnasiums, skating rinks, and auditoriums
 Dormitories

Informational Note: This requirement would include receptaclesidentified as 5-15, 5-20, 6-15, and 6-20 in ANSI/NEMA WD 6-2016, WiringDevices — Dimensional Specifications.

Exception to (1), (2), (3), (4), (5), (6), and (7): Receptacles in the followinglocations shall not be required to be tamper resistant:
 Receptacles located more than 1.7 m (5 1⁄2 ft) above the floor
 Receptacles that are part of a luminaire or appliance
 A single receptacle or a duplex receptacle for two appliances located within the dedicatedspace for each appliance that, in normal use, is not easily moved from one place to anotherand that is cord-and-plug-connected in accordance with 400.10(A)(6), (A)(7), or (A)(8)
 Nongrounding receptacles used for replacements as permitted in 406.4(D)(2)(a)

kwired

Electron manager
Not quite everywhere.

406.12TR Receptacles
Dwelling units in all areas specified in 210.52 and 550.13
 Guest rooms and guest suites of hotels and motels
 Child care facilities Preschools and elementary education facilities
 Business offices, corridors, waiting rooms and the like in clinics, medical and dental officesand outpatient facilities
 Subset of assembly occupancies described in Article 518.2 to include places of waitingtransportation, gymnasiums, skating rinks, and auditoriums
 Dormitories

Informational Note: This requirement would include receptaclesidentified as 5-15, 5-20, 6-15, and 6-20 in ANSI/NEMA WD 6-2016, WiringDevices — Dimensional Specifications.

Exception to (1), (2), (3), (4), (5), (6), and (7): Receptacles in the followinglocations shall not be required to be tamper resistant:
 Receptacles located more than 1.7 m (5 1⁄2 ft) above the floor
 Receptacles that are part of a luminaire or appliance
 A single receptacle or a duplex receptacle for two appliances located within the dedicatedspace for each appliance that, in normal use, is not easily moved from one place to anotherand that is cord-and-plug-connected in accordance with 400.10(A)(6), (A)(7), or (A)(8)
 Nongrounding receptacles used for replacements as permitted in 406.4(D)(2)(a)
Still leaves a lot of places where it isn't required. But I can see many EC's putting them everywhere in dwellings, guest rooms, child care, schools, medical facilities as a general rule just to avoid missing some that should have been TR. Re-inspections may cost more then just using the TR receptacles to begin with.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
Still leaves a lot of places where it isn't required. But I can see many EC's putting them everywhere in dwellings, guest rooms, child care, schools, medical facilities as a general rule just to avoid missing some that should have been TR. Re-inspections may cost more then just using the TR receptacles to begin with.
The first part of his text is where they are required now, the exceptions very limited.

kwired

Electron manager
The first part of his text is where they are required now, the exceptions very limited.
Did he quote 2014? I have no idea what is in 2017 yet. I can see this eventually going to where it is required in enough places that many EC's won't install anything else just to avoid code violations.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
I think this is nuts. More manufacturers just trying to make people buy their products.

Some areas I can see, but dorms? Doesn't that include college dorms? Aren't college kids old enough to know better than to stick a paper clip in a receptacle?

In the past, a receptacle would easily last 50 years if it wasn't abused.

I have one TR receptacle in my house. After about 1 year, most plugs won't unlatch it anymore. Now I keep a 2 prong adapter plugged into it because it works for some reason. But anything with a ground pin is no longer grounded. And when these things quit working people are going to start using extension cords from the closest outlet instead of paying someone $100 to replace a $5 outlet.

My point is these aren't going to be any safer if they aren't reliable.

It will be lots of easy service calls for electricians.

kwired

Electron manager
I think this is nuts. More manufacturers just trying to make people buy their products.

Some areas I can see, but dorms? Doesn't that include college dorms? Aren't college kids old enough to know better than to stick a paper clip in a receptacle?

In the past, a receptacle would easily last 50 years if it wasn't abused.

I have one TR receptacle in my house. After about 1 year, most plugs won't unlatch it anymore. Now I keep a 2 prong adapter plugged into it because it works for some reason. But anything with a ground pin is no longer grounded. And when these things quit working people are going to start using extension cords from the closest outlet instead of paying someone $100 to replace a $5 outlet.

My point is these aren't going to be any safer if they aren't reliable.

It will be lots of easy service calls for electricians.
I sort of agree with you. But look at how many other things are out there (not just in the electrical field) that we are forced to use in the name of safety or environmental hazards whether we want those features or not. How much less would today's automobiles cost if we didn't have all the safety features and environmental conservation features mandated on all these vehicles? Then there is the maintenance of such features that sometimes becomes necessary.

Not saying all those features are bad, but when buying a new vehicle we don't have a choice either, they will have certain features included, some which used to be optional are now required. In the future some of the options today may be required.

Having big brother watch out for you does have a cost.

jumper

As someone who worked at a college for 10 years I can state with no hesitation: For the most part - No. A complete lack of common sense is prevalent among many, if not most, of our young students in higher academia. Sad, but true.

kwired

Electron manager
As someone who worked at a college for 10 years I can state with no hesitation: For the most part - No. A complete lack of common sense is prevalent among many, if not most, of our young students in higher academia. Sad, but true.
We can send them off to find out anything they haven't already learned in high school about drugs, alcohol, sex, and just lifestyle choices in general, but we can't trust them to keep paper clips out of the power receptacles:(

Must be a lack of education at the primary and secondary education levels about some general rules of safety - oh yeah that is right, we are not responsible for anything these days, if something bad happens just file a lawsuit against whoever you can pin blame on.

Smash

I realize this is an old thread but a comment anyway. These TR receptacles are all about safety I get it safety should be made a priority. And the companies that make them will be the first ones to stand on a desk and let you know. That and a few bucks and everyone is buying new receptacles to keep kids safe. I actually have no problem with that at all. My problem is they boast about safety supply you with a updated TR safety receptacle which of course will cost more still don’t have a problem but that same outlet that same outlet that went thru years of safety thought and care has the same fire hazard quick connects in the back as the old fire hazard ones. Why because as long as it’s legal even a self proclaimed safety Conscience company knows that’s it’s all about speed when the builders, contractors buy them. Even if they could stand on the desk and once again boast about eliminating the quick connects for safety reasons that would be there demise so that will never happen. Any good electrician knows better and does not use them ever ask them why at your next safety meeting. So who is really making the decisions safety code people or manufacturers with deep pockets with a wave of a pen made everyone buy new TR outlets business must have been a little slow that year.

Smash

I sort of agree with you. But look at how many other things are out there (not just in the electrical field) that we are forced to use in the name of safety or environmental hazards whether we want those features or not. How much less would today's automobiles cost if we didn't have all the safety features and environmental conservation features mandated on all these vehicles? Then there is the maintenance of such features that sometimes becomes necessary.

Not saying all those features are bad, but when buying a new vehicle we don't have a choice either, they will have certain features included, some which used to be optional are now required. In the future some of the options today may be required.

Having big brother watch out for you does have a cost.
It’s all about money more mouths to feed more people to come up with more stuff more people to do something stupid but oh it can happen so we all buy in and it gets added on and piled on.

Status
Not open for further replies.