Tamper Resistant Receptacles

Status
Not open for further replies.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
brian john said:
Maybe I am a bad business man BUT just because I can make extra bucks at the customer expense does not mean I necessarily want too. I feel I have a relationship with the customer to protect their interest and to my company to make a profit.

Do statistics show that this will improve safety or just line someones pockets?
Because if this is just a ploy to increase profits, IMO STICK IT.

I doubt most customers really care how much profit you make on a job. he only really cares that you do it right and at a price he can afford. How much money you make doing that is not really an issue.

If he needs or wanst $5 outlets rather than 50 cent outlets and is willing to pay the upfee for them, no one is hurt.

brian john

I do not disagree with that, BUT my point was if manufactures are in the act of writing new NEC articles just to increase profits with little or no cost benefits or for that matter that the device is necessary from a safety stand point then I think it is a load of......

But if statistics show that these new devices and resulting new codes are a benefit I would be all for it. Had I thought of it when I wired my last house (for my family) I would have installed tamper proff and AFCI for that matter on all circuits. But that would be my choice.

necnotevenclose

who wants $5 outlets? I've talked to several owners and the majority want to negotiate the price without the $5 outlets. IMO if the code is going to require TPR then it needs to be clear when and where it is required. If it is for a designated kids room do I still have to meet the spacing criteras of NEC or can I just provide one TPR receptacle.

JohnJ0906

necnotevenclose said:
who wants $5 outlets? I've talked to several owners and the majority want to negotiate the price without the $5 outlets. IMO if the code is going to require TPR then it needs to be clear when and where it is required. If it is for a designated kids room do I still have to meet the spacing criteras of NEC or can I just provide one TPR receptacle.
http://forums.mikeholt.com/showthread.php?t=82598

acording to this, ALL locations under 210.52

yanici

Occupation
Old Retired Master/Journeyman Electrician
Suppose you get a call to install a replacement receptacle. You find the house has 2-wire ungrounded receptacles. You now call for a tamper proof 2-wire receptacle. Will there be one manufactured? I'll bet there won't.

So now that $2 receptacle changeout becomes a gfci and maybe a new box. Some will see this as a money maker, but I see it as a customer burden. Will existing installations be grandfathered to the code at the time of install?

electricmanscott

petersonra said:
who says you can't mark up the regular duplexes 500%? or 1000%

bottom line is that no matter what you install there is a limit to what the market will bear. when you hit that line, you will get resistance.

You can mark them up a billion percent but you won't get any work. BUT...if everyone is selling the same product that IS the market and you all make more money.

I am not out to be a guardian angel for my customers. After 15 years in business I have learned only one thing that is a constant. People suck.

We are not appreciated for what we do, the knowledge we have, and what it takes to get that knowledge.

I am very good to the peole I work for but I am trying to make money. That is the one and only reason I do what I do. If I can use "the man" to make me more money I will any chance I get. What that means is a code compliant installation done at a reasonable price and at higher than average quality.

Blah blah blah raving lunatic.....

Status
Not open for further replies.