Tap A Feeder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
I am estimating a tap of an existing feeder in an electrical closet. It is a tap of 4/0. What connections to I need to tap this? What work is involved? Cut the feeder. etc. Are split bolts needed?

Thanks very much.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Thanks so much wirebender. So basically the electrians scope of work is to cut the extg. feeders then use the connectors to do the tap and run the feeders to the panel being fed.

fireryan

Is there any rule that say how many times you can tap off a feeder. I couldnt find anything. It just seems to me that if you tap off a 200 amp feeder to many times that the service would be overloaded because the service is only good for 200 amps

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
horsegoer said:
Thanks so much wirebender. So basically the electrians scope of work is to cut the extg. feeders then use the connectors to do the tap and run the feeders to the panel being fed.
You do have options. There are connectors on the market that would not require the feeder being cut, and even connectors that will work without even skinning the jacket on the feeder.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Augie, I believe I have heard of something called "tightbite" connectors( spelling?) that "bite" down on the feeder to provide continuity. Don't know if I am correct.

SEO

When splicing or taping in a wireway (metal wireway ) pay attention to section 376.56 (A) and (B). Nonmetallic 378.56. Power distribution blocks shall be listed (metal wireway) Distribution blocks are not mentioned in art 378.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
horsegoer said:
Augie, I believe I have heard of something called "tightbite" connectors( spelling?) that "bite" down on the feeder to provide continuity. Don't know if I am correct.

yeah! I don't like them :smile: but that's cause an ole fart still stuck in the splitbolt/rigid conduit era

iwire

Staff member
horsegoer said:

Ilsco makes some called KUP-L-TAPs

IPC(combo).gif

I think they have their uses but not for general splicing.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I've used the Kup-L-Taps, most recently for a fire-suppression system up-grade in a deli kitchen in a large grocery store. Their biggest benefits are simple installation and hot installation (unloaded.)

The entire kitchen panel is shut off by a shunt-trip main breaker, which was great and convenient for me, except that the exhaust fans and horn-strobe need power during a system trip.

So I tapped off of the incoming 500mcm conductors with #4's, using Ilsco IPC-500-250's, which are rated for 250 to 500mcm's on the run, and #4 to 250mcm's on the tap. Didn't even need to kill the power.

I ran the #4's to an 8-space panel, landing them on a back-fed (and secured) 60a breaker, and two 20a breakers for the two exhaust fans, and a 15a for the contactor power and the horn-strobe.

This does lead me to a question of my own: within the 10-ft tap rules, must the tap land on a single OCPD, like I did, or can the 6-handle rule be applied here? I can't tell for sure reading 240.21(B)(1).

iwire

Staff member
LarryFine said:
Their biggest benefits are simple installation and hot installation (unloaded.)

Sorry Larry no other way to say it, that was a stupid move, why trade you well being for someone else's convince?

They are not designed or intended to be installed hot.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
iwire said:
Ilsco makes some called KUP-L-TAPs

IPC(combo).gif

I think they have their uses but not for general splicing.

I use this ilsco tap lug w/ an insulated cover. A 250-250 lug runs about $35-$40. The insulated cover can be a little aggrivating to keep snapped in place. I usually wrap them in tape once installed to help keep it in place.

I haven't seen that insulation piercing lug before. What's the cost on those?

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
iwire said:
Sorry Larry no other way to say it, that was a stupid move, why trade you well being for someone else's convince?

They are not designed or intended to be installed hot.
They absolutely are:

"KUP-L-Tap contains no external energized parts and can be installed "hot" on energized conductors, providing the tap conductors is not under load. KUP-L-Tap meets UL listing 486B, is CSA certified and is rated 90?C."

iwire

Staff member
LarryFine said:
They absolutely are:

"KUP-L-Tap contains no external energized parts and can be installed "hot" on energized conductors, providing the tap conductors is not under load. KUP-L-Tap meets UL listing 486B, is CSA certified and is rated 90?C."

1) Where did that quote come from? I can not find it on their web site. They used the word 'hot'?

2) It still is, in my opinion a bad choice to put your safety at risk for no other reason then it's easier then shutting the circuit down.

If I followed you correctly you tapped an unfused service conductor, if the tap failed during installation you could be seriously injured.

You a big boy so what you do is up to you, my personal opinion is it is a stupid move and I would not do it, I would not let someone under me do it and I certainly would not recommend it to anyone here.

hillbilly

horsegoer said:
I am estimating a tap of an existing feeder in an electrical closet. It is a tap of 4/0. What connections to I need to tap this? What work is involved? Cut the feeder. etc. Are split bolts needed?

Thanks very much.

Personally, I wouldn't cut the feeder.
I would remove a section of insulation on the feeder and then use split bolts to connect the tap to the feeder.

Just my opinion
steve

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
iwire said:
1) Where did that quote come from? I can not find it on their web site. They used the word 'hot'?
Here's one: http://www.electricnet.com/product.mvc/KUP-L-Tap-0002

2) It still is, in my opinion a bad choice to put your safety at risk for no other reason then it's easier then shutting the circuit down.

If I followed you correctly you tapped an unfused service conductor, if the tap failed during installation you could be seriously injured.
You didn't: I tapped a fused 400a feeder, and well above the 10% limit.

You a big boy so what you do is up to you, my personal opinion is it is a stupid move and I would not do it, I would not let someone under me do it and I certainly would not recommend it to anyone here.
Installing hot, as long as there is no load, is one of the features of these devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.