tap rule question [240.21(B)(1)]

Krusscher

Occupation
Electrician
Can anyone explain what exactly this means?
The tap conductors do not extend beyond the switchboard, switchgear, panelboard, disconnecting means, or control devices they supply.

I am tapping a 60A #6 in a disconnect where it will feed that disconnect with a 35A fused circuit and a 20A fused disconnect 8 feet away connected by conduit. Can I use the tap rule to feed the 20A disconnect with #12? I'm a bit confused by the intention of this rule.

xformer

Occupation
Master Electrician
The tap conductors do not extend beyond the switchboard, switchgear, panelboard, disconnecting means, or control devices they supply.

I am tapping a 60A #6 in a disconnect where it will feed that disconnect with a 35A fused circuit and a 20A fused disconnect 8 feet away connected by conduit. Can I use the tap rule to feed the 20A disconnect with #12? I'm a bit confused by the intention of this rule.
Yes... IMHO. It means that you cannot daisy chain panels from a tap. 🙂

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems

That rule says your conductors cannot leave the enclosure where they are tapped.
Your disconnect is mounted 8' away, so you cannot use this particular tap rule. You will need to follow the 25' rule instead.

Also remember, the lengths given in 240.21 are for the length of the conductors not the physical distance between equipment.