Tape on Wire Nuts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

busman

Occupation
Master Electrician / Electrical Engineer
Was installing a ceiling fan yesterday and noticed that the instructions said to tape the wirenuts. The NEC question is: since I don't use the cheap wirenuts that come with the fan, do I still need to tape them. I would say that I am splicing IAW the NEC and do not need tape, but it could be argued that I am not following the instructions that came with the Listed product? In re-reading 110-3(b), it says "with any instructions included in the listing or labeling". Is this implying that the general installation instructions are or are not part of the required instructions. Hopefully one of the UL gurus can straighten me out.

Thanks,

Mark

electricmanscott

Re: Tape on Wire Nuts?

As a general rule wirenuts do not need to be taped. The only way to verify if this is absolutely necessary is to see if the taping was included in order to get this fan listed. I doubt it was.

WMitch

The tape requirement was probably added to compensate for the cheesy "wire nuts" provided with most light fixtures and fans. I hate to even call them wire nuts.
OTOH I used to work pulling wire for a grizzled old EC. He made us tape over the wire nuts and also wrap tape around outlet screws. I don't think he trusted wire nuts.

pierre

Listed wirenuts when properly installed do not need tape. I agree that the instructions for that particular fan are because those type wirenuts are usually supplied with the cheap fans, you will not see that in higher quality fans.

When I see tape on wirenuts, generally I am cautious, I have seen too many people who use tape on wirenuts, relying on the tape - not the wirenut.

mdshunk

Taping those cheap little wire nuts seems like adding in a little fuel for the future fire. Take one potentially loose connection, add black tape that will burn and smoke like the devil, and you get a bad combo. Throw them suckers away and put on decent wire nuts. This is one time where I will violate 100.3(B) without apology. Take me to jail. Over and out.

mark32

The only time I tape my wire nuts is when all or most of the conductors being spliced are stranded. In my opinion 3m makes the best wire nuts. Scotchlocks stink on solid but are great on stranded. The 312 and 512 series are great no matter what you put them on. The newer blue/orange and yellow/red ones are good too. I will admit I like the orange Ideals on a single #14 with a fixture wire.

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by pierre:
Bob
If we keep agreeing, how are we going to keep the threads going? :D :D
I am not worried, the NEC is large enough I have a high level of confidence we will find something to disagree about. :D

pierre

LMAO :cool:

P.S. Bob and I have nothing to do today, as both the Patriots and the Giants are both on their way to the playoffs!!!

[ December 18, 2005, 12:28 PM: Message edited by: pierre ]

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

Originally posted by iwire:
I am not worried, the NEC is large enough I have a high level of confidence we will find something to disagree about. :D
Not true. The NEC needs to be bigger for us to disagree effectively. :p

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrical Engineer

I disagree with something someone just posted. I don't remember what it was or who said it. :D

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor

Originally posted by charlie b:
I disagree with something someone just posted. I don't remember what it was or who said it. :D
I disagree; you DO remember. :p

busman

Occupation
Master Electrician / Electrical Engineer

For the record - I don't tape them. I just wanted to know if I was qualifying for outlaw status.

Mark

jwelectric

I wonder if I might be the only old fart that remembers the time that all joints had a little Monkey Grip wrapped around them.
:)

edited to fix the word if

[ December 18, 2005, 07:57 PM: Message edited by: jwelectric ]

macmikeman

On commercial 277 v lighting systems, I am glad to see a little tape on the old hard plastic "B" Ideal wirenuts. Those tend to break in half under heating conditions when they get old enough. Opening a crowded junction box with the power on is sometimes a real scary thing to do. I have removed 4 square covers only to see pieces of old wirenuts fall out of the box. Yeah, I know, I know, turn off and lock out all power before removing any covers.

mtn_elec

I know it is not the topic but what about pretwisting before wirenut, Is it a common practice for you guys?

mdshunk

Originally posted by mtn_elec:
I know it is not the topic but what about pretwisting before wirenut, Is it a common practice for you guys?
Not sure you want to go there.

On the white papers that I have been able to find on any wire nuts, they say different things. Buchannan said that wires may be twisted or untwisted. Ideals say to strip them to a certain dimension, lay them parallel, and install the wire nut. I suppose it depends on how strictly you follow manufacturers docs. I will continue to pretwist without apology. There are very strong opinions on both sides. Discussion of the matter, I feel, will be without profit.

Status
Not open for further replies.