Tape on Wire Nuts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

electricman2

Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Re: Tape on Wire Nuts?

Originally posted by jwelectric:
Yes I twist then crimp and tape. What is a wire nut?
Now that at least one crimper and taper is out of the closet, I admit that I do this a lot. Takes up less space than wire nuts. Let the next guy rant and rave when having to disconnect them. :D

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

Speaking of broken wirenuts: I'm finding my superhuman exceptionally exercised wrist is no match to plastic 3M yellow wirenuts in the cold. My current record is 4 broken wirenuts on one splice.

Once my bags are empty, I'm switching over to T/R's for the season. :)

peter d

I will settle the twisting debate once and for all. Right here, right now. Pretwisting is not necessary.

Any electrician can make a good splice without pretwisting if only he follows the instructions on the package and does not exceed the listed capacity of the connector.

That means wires stripped the right length, held parallel and even, and twisted until two twists become visible in the wire. I admit that with muliple #12's this can be very difficult and I will sometimes pretwist these.

macmikeman

Yes I twist then crimp and tape. What is a wire nut?
JW, how many wraps of tape to return the splice to its original voltage rating before you removed the insulation? I just love it when I open j-boxes and find these jobs on the current carrying wires. I have also seen lots of those same splices on current wires that burn't off the insulation for about 2 inches back from the splice. Course I have seen that on wirenut splices also, just not as often. They do have insulated crimps that you don't have to wrap tape around also.

jwelectric

Originally posted by macmikeman:
JW, how many wraps of tape to return the splice to its original voltage rating before you removed the insulation?
one

Edited to add:

Polyvinyl Chloride, Polyethylene, and Rubber Insulating Tape
UL 510

1 Scope
1.1 This Standard covers thermoplastic and rubber tapes for use as electrical insulation at not more than 600 V and at 80?C (176?F) and lower temperatures on joints and splices in wires and cables in accordance with the National Electrical CodeANSI/NFPA 70. It is intended that rubber tape on a joint or splice be mechanically protected by a covering such as friction tape. Thermoplastic tape is acceptable without the additional mechanical protection.

1.2 The characteristic constituent of the thermoplastic tape covered in this Standard is either PVC (polyvinyl chloride or a copolymer of vinyl chloride and vinyl acetate), or PE (thermoplastic polyethylene). For the characteristic constituent(s) of rubber tape, see 18.1.
:)

Now lets start taping these joints and put them wirenuts back on the shelf.
:)

[ December 21, 2005, 09:31 AM: Message edited by: jwelectric ]

Status
Not open for further replies.