tapered pole level

Status
Not open for further replies.

brentp

Anyone ever heard of a level made for tapered poles (parking lot poles)? Someone told me they're made. Snow snakes, bucket of amps...or the real deal?

Anyway, does anyone have a good method for setting concrete poles in stabilized material without 'eyeballing' for plumb? There has to be a better way. Laser level is mediocre at best.

Thanks
Brent

mcclary's electrical

Level the base the best you can,,,,that normally works for me. I do have a digital angle finder I use sometimes,,,but it requires konwing the angle off plane that the pole is tapered,,,1-2 degrees you can zero the level,,,,then go by that.

480sparky

I just remember how far off-center the bubble is, and use that to see if the opposite side is the same amount 'off-center'. If they're equally 'off-center', it's plumb.

mcclary's electrical

I just remember how far off-center the bubble is, and use that to see if the opposite side is the same amount 'off-center'. If they're equally 'off-center', it's plumb.

good idea,,,,,and with a digital level it would transfer side to side,,,,and if they both match,,,,you got it. That's a good idea sparky

RUWired

have you tried using a plumb bob. Either stand back with it holding at arms length. Or attach it using a bracket.

iwire

Staff member
have you tried using a plumb bob. Either stand back with it holding at arms length.

I level the base then give it a quick check with a plumb bob at arms length.

Or you could get a level like my Dads plumbers level, it was a 24" level with a threaded adjustment at one end to set a taper. You could set it using the method 480Spary described.

Status
Not open for further replies.