TC-ER Cable uses????????

Status
Not open for further replies.
its seems that a lot of PV systems are using cables identified as TC-ER Cable, you will commonly see this wire in split level unit heat/ac (run from condensors. From I understand tray cable is allowed in a raceway or tray assembly. I'm seeing many manufacturers using this on preassembled components for PV systems. my question is where within the NEC does this allow me to run this wire exposed in pv systems and connect modules and arrays. :angel: Is this rated for exterior usage.

SolarPro

If you're asking about trunk cable assemblies for microinverter systems, I think you'll find that NRTLs evaluate these cables under product safety standards like UL 1741. If the cable assembly is part of the listed product, then 110.3(B) applies: "Listed and labeled equipment shall be installed and used in accordance with any instructions included in the listing or labeling."

It does appear that UL is working on some more specific product safety standards that will cover connector and cable assemblies, including TC-ER cable (see 1.4):

UL 6703
Outline of Investigation for Connectors for Use in Photovoltaic Systems

SCOPE
TABLE OF CONTENTS

1.1 This standard covers latching or locking type PV connectors either as a free connector (separate entity) or as a fixed connector (panel or bulkhead type) and rated 1000 V dc or less. These connectors are intended for use in wiring methods detailed in Part IV of Article 690 - Solar Photovoltaic Systems of the National Electrical Code, NFPA 70.

1.2 This standard is intended for single polarity PV connectors suitable for use on insulated, stranded copper type USE-2 or Photovoltaic Wire (PV Wire) rated 90°C, 105°C, 125°C, or 150°C dry; 90°C wet; 600, 1000, or 2000 V.

1.3 This standard also covers latching or locking type multi-pole PV connectors rated 1000 Vac or dc or less. Multi-pole PV connectors consist of connectors, panel mounted connectors, distribution blocks and splitter connectors for the purpose of facilitating connections to and from inverters and like devices in a PV system.

1.4 This standard is also intended for multi-pole PV connectors suitable for use on insulated, stranded copper type TC-ER, USE-2 or Photovoltaic Wire (PV Wire) rated 90°C, 105°C, 125°C, or 150°C dry; 90°C wet; 600, 1000, or 2000 V.

1.5 This standard covers PV connectors whose dimensions are not defined in any national or international technical standard. Connectors are identified and tested with compatible mating part (or parts if multiple exist) and are to be of the same brand, unless multiple product manufacturers are submitting under the same evaluation for the purpose of proving intermatability.

1.6 This standard does not apply to PV wiring harnesses or cable assemblies consisting of connectors (single pole or multi-pole) assembled on to cables, which are covered by the Outline of Investigation for Distributed Generation Wiring Harnesses, UL 9703. PV Wiring Harnesses may use PV connectors covered by this standard in their assembly. Harnesses have PV connectors factory assembled onto each end of the cable.

SolarPro

Oh, and then there's this new language in NEC 2014 690.31(D):

(D) Multiconductor Cable. Multiconductor cable Type TC-ER or Type USE-2 shall be permitted in outdoor locations in PV inverter output circuits where used with utility-interactive inverters mounted in locations that are not readily accessible. The cable shall be secured at intervals not exceeding 1.8 m (6 ft). Equipment grounding for the utilization equipment shall be provided by an equipment grounding conductor within the cable.

yes I'm aware of that code. with a ground mounted system the cables are readily accessible, so does that throw TC cable out? with a lot of the module manufacturers making the product in mexico or china, these cables aren't always eligible.

Status
Not open for further replies.