Teen Dies Days After Touching Electrified Fence On School Football Field

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
Im curious if it was 120 or 277. Or what failed. An FOIA on the case would be helpful, but we will see.

The million dollar question for me is, was the system installed by qualified personal correctly and it failed for reasons that code or competence would not have stopped or was the work done incorrectly that lead to this. Certainly a learning experience.

enireh

enireh

enireh

so what was the deal? was it an electric fence or an "electrician" screwed up? did I miss something? I have and electric fence around my property because of ill neighbors and hope nothing like this ever happens. we have to have ac power on the fence as it is the only way to keep them out. I tried the traditional dc farm/ranch thing but they know how to ground it out and come on in but the ac takes care of that still I am not comfortable with and don't turn it on every night. I have colored lights on the fence so hopefully they'll continue to stay away as it does kill at times

James

Last edited by a moderator:

John120/240

.................................... I have and electric fence around my property because of ill neighbors and hope nothing like this ever happens. we have to have ac power on the fence as it is the only way to keep them out. ......................................... I have colored lights on the fence so hopefully they'll continue to stay away as it does kill at times

James

Just EXACTLY what are you doing here ? Do you have 120V on your fence ? Who or what are you trying to keep out ? Ill (sick) neighbors ?
Correct me if I am wrong, but I think your methods are way more dangerous to people than whatever harm they may cause.

Last edited by a moderator:

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Not to mention being a code violation.
If somebody gets injured, a lawsuit will be successful, on your own property or not.

I suspect (hope) this is an attempt at humor or a troll post. If not (or anyway?) it does not belong here.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
I think this is one of the reasons why the US should do earth fault loop impedance testing. And the reason why GFCIs are being mandated everywhere.

kwired

Electron manager
Just EXACTLY what are you doing here ? Do you have 120V on your fence ? Who or what are you trying to keep out ? Ill (sick) neighbors ?
Correct me if I am wrong, but I think your methods are way more dangerous to people than whatever harm they may cause.
May as well have minefields put in around the property, I guess the fence doesn't need "reloaded" and is probably much cheaper.:blink:

ATSman

ATSman
Occupation
Electrical Engineer/ Electrical Testing & Controls
Current Reading

Current Reading

Had a similar incident (though not fatal) in Alaska. We (the POCO) got a call that there was smoke coming from the grass near a chain link fence in a school yard. Line crew went out and grounded the fence under the overhead power lines by driving a few ground rods, thinking it was induction. Another call a few days later saying an employee got a shock when he was locking a gate. Our engineer went out and decided we needed to ground the fence in multiple places. I, being a meter/relay tech, went along. We read 118V from the fence to a nearby well casing. We ran a jumper of bare #6 copper from the fence to the casing and measured voltage to ground again. Measured 0V. We did see a spark when we grounded the wire. But...about thirty seconds later, I noticed the wire was smoking and beginning to sag. Then it quit and cooled off. Well, we figured we had a trip of the overhead circuit. Called dispatch, and no trips. The school maintenance guy came out and said they lost power to part of a shop building. We found a tripped 30A breaker inside. Well, long story short, they had done some remodeling and drove a screw through a hot wire behind a sheet metal wall. Had nothing to do with induction. But talking to the maintenance guy, he said it had been that way for weeks, and the kids (elementary school) had been going up to the fence and touching it to feel the "tickle". Wow! They may have some detective work to do to solve this one.

Like GAR mentioned, I would be interested in knowing what current a clamp on meter would have read after the #6 wire was connected.

Status
Not open for further replies.