Tele/Data Outlet??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
So if you have a tele/data outlet with one Cat 6 for tele & one for Data only the data would land on a patch panel. Correct? Where would the telephone land? On a 66 block or similiar? Thanks

USMC1302

I believe 110 blocks are more common as they are more likely to be certified for Cat5e/Cat6 speeds. In general your question would depend on what type of phone system you will be using. If it is VOIP you may terminate all cables on a patch panel, and if the switch configured accordingly, the outlet could be used for either phone or data.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
If you use a 66 block for phone or POTS I suggest you use a four across version that needs the jumber between the middle two. That way you can isolate each home run for a fault if there is ever one.

personally I would use 110 block that goes to a RJ45 then to a bridged RJ45 POTS panel. With this setup could always swap the line for data or POTS in the future by simply using a patch cable.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
We always land both of them on separate patch panels. This way you can cross connect them any way you want.

grich

Occupation
Broadcast Engineer
We always land both of them on separate patch panels. This way you can cross connect them any way you want.
When I helped with a radio station cluster's new building a few years ago, that's what we did. The design also called for running tel CAT5's in one color, general-purpose ethernet CAT5's in another color, CAT5's for audio servers in a third, etc. That plus good labeling made it easy to install gear when the time came.

Status
Not open for further replies.