Telecommunication tower grouding

Status
Not open for further replies.

mannyb

Occupation
Electrician
i was wondering if anyones has done any cell tower work that involves installing the ground ring. can the ground ring be installed first is a good or bad idea. we were planning on raising finish grade per Prints anyway and then dig out for ground ring. I thought of digging the 6 to 12 inches and then add dirt. Any suggestion will help

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
i was wondering if anyones has done any cell tower work that involves installing the ground ring. can the ground ring be installed first is a good or bad idea. we were planning on raising finish grade per Prints anyway and then dig out for ground ring. I thought of digging the 6 to 12 inches and then add dirt. Any suggestion will help
I have done a fair amount of cell tower work. Every one I been on all the earth grounding was done after the tower, shelter, fences, etc were in place. I would not want to do it any other way.

If this is your first time doing this I would recommend finding someone that has some experience doing it. Cell site grounding specs are insane and cell company engineers are more insane. I'm not trying to scare you off it, it's great work and a lot of fun, but it's a trip through the looking glass the first job you do.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer

In terms of proximity to the water table and the density of the surrounding earth, the original undisturbed soil will be better for the ground rods or wires than the same distance down from the new finish grade, but the Code does not seem to care.
The risk of damage in having your ground system in place during excavation, even if it only amounts to adding dirt, seems to high to risk IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.