Telecommunications Cabling and Fire Codes

Status
Not open for further replies.

jktat

I was told that I have to use two hour burn cabling (cat 5e) in the Hospital. Can you please tell me if this is true? I would also like to know if I have to use plenum rated cabling in the Hospital environment?

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Re: Telecommunications Cabling and Fire Codes

two hour burn cabling (cat 5e)

I have never heard of any such animal though I have heard talk of Teflon insulated FA cable that will remain operational longer in the event of a fire. I don't think it is anywhere near 2 hours though.

As for the plenum rated cable I could be wrong but a health care environment shouldn't change the normal NEC requirements for plenum or environmental air, there could be overriding design requirements however.

-Hal

jrdsg

hal, as usual, is right on. the "AHJ" here is probably the specifying engineer whose requirements can exceed the inspector's.

no idea what two hour burn is. sounds like that post-enchillada dinner feeling...

blackrd

Far as I know cat 5e is cat5 "enhanced". Slightly higher speed than five, then they came out with cat8. What next?

hbiss

Occupation
EC

He is asking if there is a CAT5e that will last for two hours in a fire.

You are correct, CAT 5e is an "enhanced" CAT 5 which is no longer available. CAT 6 is available and will replace CAT 5e shortly.

I don't know where this is going either, only the computer geeks with the pocket protectors and the tape on their glasses do. :roll:

-Hal

M

mkoloj

I don't even know if the computer geeks know too much about where it is going, it is like anything PC related it has to increase it's capacity to keep up with needs. If the market isn't ready for it they will hold onto the technology until there is a demand for it and the profit can be maximized.

dereckbc

Staff member

Well here in the telecom buisness we require wall penetrations to have 2-hour fire rating, but AHJ do not require it, it is an industry standard.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

They may be asking for CI (circuit integrity) cable that is designed to fuction for at least 2 hours under fire conditions. I'm not sure if it is available in Cat-5. Here is a link to some information on CI cable that was presented at a Homeland Secuirity conference.
Don

brannen

Speaking as a wannabe-ex-computer geek, the changes in cabling are dictated by the bandwidth trying to be pushed through it. Right now 100 Megabits Per Second (100Mbps) is very common to desktops over Cat5, 5e, or 6. 1000Mbps (Gigabit Ethernet or GigE) is not unusual, but not as common due to costs - which are dropping rapidly.

The new "high speed" for Local Area Networks (LANs) is 10Gig or 10,000Mbps. I've read a few articles where manufacturers are figuring out how to do it over Cat5e or Cat6 but there's also some new cable called "twinax". Beyond 10Gig, is 40Gig.

My feeling is that eventually, probably within a decade or so, bandwidth will dictate fiber, and copper based networking will become obsolete.

hbiss

Occupation
EC

new cable called "twinax".

LOL! Twinax was one of the first network cable types used in the 70's by IBM for their token ring topology. You can still find it in use today.

Are we going around in circles?

-Hal

brannen

As I understand it, manufacturers are doing their best to get 10Gig to work over Cat5/6. I guess it's an easier sell if everyone doesn't have to replace their whole network infrastructure.

hbiss

Occupation
EC

As I understand it, manufacturers are doing their best to get 10Gig to work over Cat5/6.

No, they are finally ditching the planned obsolescence mindset... I hope. I think also that anything faster than 100Mbps is going to be a tough sell for most applications. Anybody going to notice it with their email or internet surfing?

-Hal

brannen

Anybody going to notice it ...

It depends. If you're at home, do you need a GigE connection to your Internet router (broadband router) - no, I doubt you have much over 2-3Mbps connection.

However, in an office environment, transferring large files, it's a definite improvement if you're Gig attached from your desktop to the server.

O

oliver100

Somehow the transfered data has to be saved on a disk. Are the disks copping with 40 GB/sec?

Originally posted by hbiss:

No, they are finally ditching the planned obsolescence mindset... I hope. I think also that anything faster than 100Mbps is going to be a tough sell for most applications. Anybody going to notice it with their email or internet surfing?

-Hal
Not quite true. What is happening is people are starting to use Cat 5e / Cat 6 for purposes never originally invisioned. You can now install media servers in your home, rip every DVD you own to them and stream them at will to any location in your house. And, if you're running a gigabit network (1000 Mbps) in your house then you can do all of this over Ethernet and not be required to send it over coaxial.

The speeds will hit a brick wall, but the applications will continue to skyrocket.

Status
Not open for further replies.