Telephone system ground

Status
Not open for further replies.

earlydean

Re: Telephone system ground

Article 250.94 requires that the electrician leave some method accessible and external for the connection of cable and telephone grounds. Union or not, to be code compliant, the electrician would have to provide a connection point for the tele and cable guy.

dpoland

Hbiss
I have never asked this question before. Our company ran the premise wiring and was informed originally by Verizon to run the telephone cables to the opposite side of the building. It never occured to anyone that there was going to be a problem. All communication circuits are homeruns. All utility's are underground and are not located together. The tele and catv are on the back left and the transformer is on the front right. This was the first time I ran into this happening in the 22 years I've been in the field. Thanks for the article number. I read it when this first occured but was not sure if it was the artile they were refering to seeing that the telephone supervisor was being a jerk.

hurk27

Anyway, is there any way to get a #6 across the basement or buried between the two locations?
I still stand that it is never a good Idea to invite a lightning discharge into a building to get to the electrode. I have seen many time what it will do (and it an't good) It would be better to have the phone co. terminate at the service location and run a multi-pare cable to the point where the EC ran the cables. as if the phone cable drop ever recives a direct hit by lightning and it has to come through the building to get to the electrode it will do some damage along the way. Most GEC's over 20' will not be of much use to a lightning strike anyway as the impedance will be to high. Remember the code is a bare minium. Do some reading here Lightning Safety at this site and you will get a better idea of what I'm talking about.

As an added note: Click on #5 at the left side of the main page, it has many subjects that will take you through on how lightning reacts with grounding.

[ January 15, 2004, 09:13 PM: Message edited by: hurk27 ]

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC

Wayne, I agree, but in this case with the two services coming from two different locations I don't know what else can be done. This is the reason all services need to be located together. Apparently it is Verizon who required the separate location. I would like to hear how they expect you to provide a GEC and comply with the NEC and their request under these circumstances. :confused:

tonyi

Why can't the telco just run their gnd around the outside of the building?

Status
Not open for further replies.