Temp Light Layout

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
So here scenario. Have 277/480V temp switchboard that we are to pull power from. Have about (35) 100W temp fixtures that will be fed with 277V. The fixtures are in a long corridor. The first fixture is about 500’ form the temp switchboard and the last about 1000’ away. I would like to install a 277/480 panelboard fed from the temp switchboard to feed the lights along with some other 277V welders in the area of the lighting. I don’t think it makes sense to mount the branch panelboard near the temp switchboard as doing voltage drop calcs I would need more than #’8’s to feed the lights all the way. Maybe I should mount/figure the panelboard closer in the area of the light fixture and run a 277/480v temp feeder from the temp switchboard to the branch panelboard…say about 500’ away. Does this make sense? Thanks a lot for any feedback.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
If it were lighting alone I would say that with only 35-100 watt loads the panel would probably not be necessary but since you need welder hook ups in the area of the lighting then installing the panel is a no brainer.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
If it were lighting alone I would say that with only 35-100 watt loads the panel would probably not be necessary but since you need welder hook ups in the area of the lighting then installing the panel is a no brainer.

Yes but my question is where to install the panel. Local to the switchboard or near the lighting. What size wire would one need to feed (35) 100W fixtures 1000' at 277V?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Oops! I meant to say installing the panel 500' away where the lighting begins is where I would put it.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Oops! I meant to say installing the panel 500' away where the lighting begins is where I would put it.

So a few other questions.
  1. Attached are the welders we will be powering. They want them fed from 30A disconnect switch. What type of wiring/cabling is run from disconnect to the actual welding machine attached?
  2. They also want smoke eaters(Infinity I think you’ve seen these) by the welders. No cut sheet on those but thinking they are not 277/480v so couldn’t feed the smoke eaters from the 277/480 panel.
  3. Could you use SE cable to feed the 277/480 panel from the switchboard or would you use MC cable?4.
  4. Will have (35) 100W temp light fixtures( 4. 1- 20a breaker) and (4) welding hook ups with 30A disconnect switches. (4) smoke eaters not sure the load of each or if they can even be fed from the 277/480 panel. Thinking 200A panel will be suffice.

Attachments

• 08_Exhibit E - Welding Power Source.pdf
    1,005.4 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.