Temp light

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Hello. I have a small shower room/bathroom. That’s about 5‘ x 8’ that’s being completely demoed. It has one ceiling light fixture in it with a gypboard ceiling. My Foreman is bitching that now he hast to find a circuit for a temp light before they do the demo and he may have to go outside in the Corredor above the ceiling or somewhere else to find a circuit. Not being electrician it seems like he’s making more of this than it is to provide a temp light in that room. I mentioned possibly a light stand. If not, isn’t there an easier way to provide a temp light in that room other than going up in the ceiling outside the room to find a circuit?

HEYDOG

Hello. I have a small shower room/bathroom. That’s about 5‘ x 8’ that’s being completely demoed. It has one ceiling light fixture in it with a gypboard ceiling. My Foreman is bitching that now he hast to find a circuit for a temp light before they do the demo and he may have to go outside in the Corredor above the ceiling or somewhere else to find a circuit. Not being electrician it seems like he’s making more of this than it is to provide a temp light in that room. I mentioned possibly a light stand. If not, isn’t there an easier way to provide a temp light in that room other than going up in the ceiling outside the room to find a circuit?
If it has a light in it what’s wrong with using it?

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
He said the ceiling gets demo’ed so can’t use it but my thinking is to put a temporary support if it’s not already supported. Make sense ?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I'd be real disappointed if I had a FOREMAN who came back to me with that problem. My apprentices could find a way to have light if the building had power.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
I'd be real disappointed if I had a FOREMAN who came back to me with that problem. My apprentices could find a way to have light if the building had power.
It’s not about how to find the power is about going about it the easiest way. He wants to locate a circuit outside the area and use that to power a temp light in that area. I suggested using the one existing light in the room as the temp but he said the ceiling is getting demo’ed. id think there’s still a way to utilize that light even with ceiling coming down.
They have good battery lights now this is 2023 we should have flying cars
do they really? Not sure if my union allows that

letgomywago

Occupation
residential electrician
It’s not about how to find the power is about going about it the easiest way. He wants to locate a circuit outside the area and use that to power a temp light in that area. I suggested using the one existing light in the room as the temp but he said the ceiling is getting demo’ed. id think there’s still a way to utilize that light even with ceiling coming down.

do they really? Not sure if my union allows that
Lol

retirede

61ead7ac915404bf9fea13b0b50127dd.jpg

Milwaukee and others have similar.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
He said the ceiling gets demo’ed so can’t use it but my thinking is to put a temporary support if it’s not already supported. Make sense ?
Yes. Tie wire, jack chain, ceiling grid wire, drill a hole and mount an anchor if you need to.

Unless there is more to the story I agree with Augie, this guy doesn't sound like foreman material.

Joethemechanic

Occupation
Electro-Mechanical Technician. Industrial machinery
Guy has “Project Manager” written all over him.
You know facilities with all the equipment running off of line shafts is more or less a thing of the past. But for some reason corporate seems to move the guys who are good with shafting up the ladder pretty fast