Temperature Indicator Light

Status
Not open for further replies.

flashlight

Occupation
Electrician, semi-retired
The site super in this school where we do a lot of work wants an indicator light on the
outside of the server room to let him know if the temperature exceeds a certain level.

My initial, cave-man thought was that we could put a line voltage thermostat inside the room to
energize a pilot light on the outside.

What would be a more sophisticated method to do this, since line voltage t-stats in my experience are not that accurate ?

Thanks !

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
The site super in this school where we do a lot of work wants an indicator light on the
outside of the server room to let him know if the temperature exceeds a certain level.

My initial, cave-man thought was that we could put a line voltage thermostat inside the room to
energize a pilot light on the outside.

What would be a more sophisticated method to do this, since line voltage t-stats in my experience are not that accurate ?

Thanks !
Environment monitoring of server rooms has become an industry all by itself, people spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on this because servers are so expensive. But if he just wants the "Wal-Mart" version, I would go for as much accuracy as you can get him to pay for. Find out his budget, then go to your friendly neighborhood HVAC supply house and ask them for the best room temperature sensor you can buy for 1/3 of whatever he is willing to spend. Worry about the power source and pilot light details afterward, that part is easy. Just remember to locate the temperature sensor as far away from doors as possible to avoid having it change rapidly when people go in and out.

kwired

Electron manager
A. Is accuracy all that important? + or - 5 or even 10 degrees is probably acceptable I would think.

B. If nobody is there to see the light what good is it? How about something automated that will call someone if activated? You would think that would be very possible in a server room. A simple system would be something like the "Sensaphone" auto dialing system.

flashlight

Occupation
Electrician, semi-retired
A. Is accuracy all that important? + or - 5 or even 10 degrees is probably acceptable I would think.

B. If nobody is there to see the light what good is it? How about something automated that will call someone if activated? You would think that would be very possible in a server room. A simple system would be something like the "Sensaphone" auto dialing system.

The facilities director goes by there every morning 6AM like clockwork and he just wants the light outside the door where he will see it !

broadgage

Does it have to be a light ?
What about a digital thermometer with an audible alarm, these are cheap and simple, you will of course need one with a remote sensor.

If it does have to be a light, then a standard thermostat should be fine. Duplicate the lamp in case of failure.
For an improved system use two thermostats to give two levels of warning, for example at 8 degrees above normal and at 15 degrees above normal.

BullsnPyrs

Any inexpensive digital thermostat with remote sensor capability can be made to work and give an accurate reading. You can use the contacts to light an indicator light or sound an audible alarm.

kwired

Electron manager
The facilities director goes by there every morning 6AM like clockwork and he just wants the light outside the door where he will see it !

Is there a reason that if there is a failure it will be at 6AM?

Then on top of that you were concerned about accuracy of the device. 5-10 degrees is plenty accurate if it is only checked once a day.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Is there a reason that if there is a failure it will be at 6AM?

Then on top of that you were concerned about accuracy of the device. 5-10 degrees is plenty accurate if it is only checked once a day.
Absolutely.
This will end up just being an "idiot light" because if the server room is going to over heat, it will be during peak use, which is not likely to be 5:45AM. If it overheats at 5:00PM and he sees the light at 6:00AM the next day, all it will be telling him is that the fire isn't out yet...

Status
Not open for further replies.