Temperatures in string sizing and cable derates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrew445

Inactive, Email Never Verified
I have seen many opinions on this subject, and I am just looking for a general consensus.

Firstly: Which temperature do you use when calculating the amount of modules allowed in a string? Typically I use the equation with the module temperature coefficient and I grab my maximum temperature from the ASHRAE location nearest the site and use the extreme annual mean minimum dry-bulb temperature.

Second: When derating cables run in the middle of the array, what temperature is used? I have typically gone with the extreme annual dry-bulb maximum for n=20 years or 50 years. I have also been advised to add a 10 degree Celcius adder to this temp. to account for the heating of the modules themselves affecting the cable temp.

I'll be glad to hear any thoughts!

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
I have seen many opinions on this subject, and I am just looking for a general consensus.

Firstly: Which temperature do you use when calculating the amount of modules allowed in a string? Typically I use the equation with the module temperature coefficient and I grab my maximum temperature from the ASHRAE location nearest the site and use the extreme annual mean minimum dry-bulb temperature.

Second: When derating cables run in the middle of the array, what temperature is used? I have typically gone with the extreme annual dry-bulb maximum for n=20 years or 50 years. I have also been advised to add a 10 degree Celcius adder to this temp. to account for the heating of the modules themselves affecting the cable temp.

I'll be glad to hear any thoughts!

Usually I look at the ASHRAE tables along with climate data (record low and highest monthly average high) from weather.com and make a judgement call . Then to the high temperature I add 20-35 degrees C depending on the type of mounting system - best case is pole mount and worst is flush rooftop - to account for air circulation or lack of it. I am always more conservative with the cold temperature because the penalty for overvoltage is much worse than for undervoltage.

For conductor temp in the array, I use the same high temp as for the modules.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.