Temporary Lighting Installation

Occupation
C10 Electrical Contractor
I have been asked to install temporary lighting on an ongoing construction site. NEC 590.4 C says we can use NM cable and no jboxes are needed for splicing. 590.4 G execptions. I believe i am reading this correctly but I dont want to under bid this if jboxes are needed.

Thank you All!

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I have never had to provide this but I found this in section 590.4(G). You should look into temp lights that are pre wired much like an extension cord with lights on them.

1692300730834.png

Splices
A box, conduit body, or other enclosure, with a cover installed, shall be required for all splices.
Exception No. 1:
On construction sites, a box, conduit body, or other enclosure shall not be required for either of the following conditions:
  • (1)
    The circuit conductors being spliced are all from nonmetallic multiconductor cord or cable assemblies, provided that the equipment grounding continuity is maintained with or without the box.
  • (2)
    The circuit conductors being spliced are all from metal-sheathed cable assemblies terminated in listed fittings that mechanically secure the cable sheath to maintain effective electrical continuity.

Exception No. 2:
On construction sites, branch-circuits that are permanently installed in framed walls and ceilings and are used to supply temporary power or lighting,and that are GFCI protected, the following shall be permitted:
  • (1)
    A box cover shall not be required for splices installed completely inside of junction boxes with plaster rings.
  • (2)
    Listed pigtail-type lampholders shall be permitted to be installed in ceiling-mounted junction boxes with plaster rings.
  • (3)
    Finger safe devices shall be permitted for supplying and connection of devices.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
We use NM cable with open splices covered in electrical tape. Boxes are not required.

mtnelect

HVAC & Electrical Contractor
Occupation
Contractor, C10 & C20 - Semi Retired
This reminds me of the Kanan Dume Road Tunnel that was being built from the 101 Hwy to Malibu. I was working as an apprentice with the Los Angeles County Department of Public Works. The county was using jail trustees as laborers. They were boring two parallel tunnels, called barrels, one for Northbound and one for Southbound. They were using boring platforms similar to Metrorail tunnels. As they progressed through the mountains, we provided a lighting system that consisted of open wiring with rubber covered sockets with leads that we tied into the open wiring on the side of the tunnels. As they progressed through the mountains, we had to go back weekly to extend the lighting.