Temporary power for site

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am about to install a temporary power pole on a new construction site and was looking at the OSHA Standard's for construction book and also the NEC ART.590.Realizing that according to the OSHA manual that I could get away with out putting GFCI protection in buy having a grounding conductor assurance's program.Then looking at the NEC ART.590 saying that ,that program is for Industrial project's only.Is the OSHA manual no good for temporary Installation's, and can i receive a red tag from and inspector for no GFIC protection?

ceb58

I am about to install a temporary power pole on a new construction site and was looking at the OSHA Standard's for construction book and also the NEC ART.590.Realizing that according to the OSHA manual that I could get away with out putting GFCI protection in buy having a grounding conductor assurance's program.Then looking at the NEC ART.590 saying that ,that program is for Industrial project's only.Is the OSHA manual no good for temporary Installation's, and can i receive a red tag from and inspector for no GFIC protection?

Look at 590.6. It is very doubtful the inspector will entertain the exception. Install the GFCI protection and be done with it

Cavie

You would have to hire an employee just for the protection program. That would be 100% of his duties and nothing else and you would be liable. 24/7

kwired

Electron manager
If you are a subcontractor doing only electrical work on the site, why would you want to take on the grounding conductor assurance's program for everyone else working on the site. You would be responsible for maintaining equipment and extension cords for all their electrical equipment. A GFCI is much simpler and is a good troubleshooter. If it trips something plugged in likely has a problem.

If someone insists on not having GFCI for something then as long as it is not a cord and plug only tool and is designed to be hard wired you could hard wire the equipment.

iwire

Staff member
It is a tough position, I would provide GFCIs.

IMO the NEC requires it.

On the other hand OSHA does not make the EC responsible to provide the other trades with GFCI protection.

OSHA requires each employer to protect their employees, that may mean training them not to use standard receptacles and providing them with GFCI cord-sets.

kwired

Electron manager
If there is an injury or death that possibly could have been avoided by installing the GFCI protection you are going to spend some time in court.

Doesn't matter if you were right or wrong. The installation of the GFCI greatly reduces the chance of anything like that happening.

ohmhead

Temp power on site

Temp power on site

As said install GFI we kinda go thur this on every project when we turn on pre power to a new project we take out the old temp gfi,s but a letter goes out on site to each sub.

Every contractor must have there own protective GFI cords or devices when plugged into a regular outlet on site or they get a fine by the construction manager on project .

Its still a construction site most of our work is real hard core safety .

If you get hit by a safety issue like no ground on a extension cord its a $500.00 dollar fine by the contractor if you get hit twice the guy using gets to go home for three days .

Meaning this money comes out of your companys draw each quarter meaning there not happy .

On our site if you get a life safety like a fall protective issue near miss or a accident like a fall you get canned from site and your company gets a $5000.00 fine first time .

This year safety is a major issue and its all about money and how to be safe .

Today when you estimate a job include one million just for fines .

And send all your workers to a OSHA class each time you can its cheaper to do it if you want to stay in bussiness today .

Did you know OSHA is now adding offices all over the USA new this year more offices all over so they can pay for our well lets say tax dollars lost .

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.