Temporary power post grounding.

nizak

Who here feels that adding a second ground rod to a temporary power post is beneficial?

It’s always seemed to me to be a waste of money and time for what’s actually achieved.

nizak

Years ago 1 rod was always sufficient. Lately I’ve been find many areas requiring 2 unless I can prove 25 ohms or less.

I’ve even asked some inspectors what reading they got on the single rod that they are saying isn’t compliant. Im told that’s up to me to provide or put in a second.
My state agrees. Not required in WA

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Generally not required in any areas wish which I am familiar but no official ruling by our State,.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
While not commonly installed, there is nothing in the code, even going back to the 1975 code, that permits the use of a single ground rod, unless you can prove that it has a resistance of 15 ohms or less. Nothing changes for a temporary installation.
That being said, the common grounding electrode when I did temporary power poles was a "butt wrap" of bare 6 AWG on the bottom of the 4x4 pole.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
And here we have what's common running into what's code.

BTW, the surface area of a 5/8" x 8' rod is about 181 sq in, you'd need almost 30' of 6g to match that (yes, I do have better things to be doing :LOL:).
Yes, no where near the same area, and not even a permitted grounding electrode per the NEC, but was common for a long time. Typically there would only be 5 or 6' of the 6AWG around the bottom of the pole.
The local utility service manual now says "grounding electrode per the NEC".

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I may know a guy that has half of an 8' rod that he might use for a rod on a temp service. He thinks it's easier to remove when the temp is removed. I think I heard him say it was just a "joke rod" anyway!

norcal

I may know a guy that has half of an 8' rod that he might use for a rod on a temp service. He thinks it's easier to remove when the temp is removed. I think I heard him say it was just a "joke rod" anyway!
If it was the top half of a rod then might be harder to prove it was not proper, I could never bring myself to pull a stunt like that.

Joethemechanic

Occupation
Electro-Mechanical Technician. Industrial machinery
Put some salt in the hole before you put the butt wrapped post in. You'll have a low impedance ground. I know they don't have to follow NEC but butt wrapping was common on utility poles

kec

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Are we talking about a Temp svc for construction? I often question what's the reason them.