Temporary rough-in panel covers???

Status
Not open for further replies.

e57

Seriously?

590.2(A) (2008) but the same requirement has been in place for many code cycles.

240.24(A).
Yeah - seriously...

590.4(B)+(C) IMO are a modification of what is stated in 590.2(A).... Saying only 240.4, 240.5, 240.100, and in addition to those 240.101 for feeders. While both 590.4(B)+(C) mention overcurrent protection - niether address accesibilty. :confused::confused::confused:

480sparky

...........Anyway - do you think the the OCP even needs to be 'readily accessible' for temp installs?

You think I'm going to install a cover that would require removing it in order to reset a tripped breaker on a job site?

Have you ever seen how may things the other trades can plug it? I have 4 20a circuits in this thing, plus a 4-wire 50a recep for the handful of trades that have their own 'sub' panels.

You get a large crew of trades with compressors, saws, halogen lights, etc. going, and you're gonna trip a breaker. I don't want them bozos pulling a cover off just to reset a breaker. That's why I left them accessible.

hurk27

I actually like it, add a hinged plastic in-use cover, security screws, and then I think 480 should get it patented, UL listed, then offer it to panel manufactures as a combo paint, mud cover/temporary power tap cover.:D
Or manufacture and sell it on his own.

He'd be rich:D

Last edited:

e57

You think I'm going to install a cover that would require removing it in order to reset a tripped breaker on a job site?

Have you ever seen how may things the other trades can plug it? I have 4 20a circuits in this thing, plus a 4-wire 50a recep for the handful of trades that have their own 'sub' panels.

You get a large crew of trades with compressors, saws, halogen lights, etc. going, and you're gonna trip a breaker. I don't want them bozos pulling a cover off just to reset a breaker. That's why I left them accessible.
The only thing I ever really leave on in one closed up is a few lights - tops. But I was wondering about the 'readily accessible' thing... (And just shut the feeder off at the end of the day) Site power (for tools) I leave on the temp boxes as long as possible....

I actually like it, add a hinged plastic in-use cover, security screws, and then I think 480 should get it patented, UL listed, then offer it to panel manufactures as a combo paint, mud cover/temporary power tap cover.:D
Or manufacture and sell it on his own.

He'd be rich:D
Well - that is what I was thinking too... As mentioned I too was thinking of adding a hinge to my overly simple set-up and maybe a latch as well... The outlet idea is also very neat... ;) Patents would require it to be unique in some way, like universal fitting, etc. But I'm not so sure it actually needs to be listed... Although that is a great idea if one were to market something like it.

iwire

Staff member
Yeah - seriously...

590.4(B)+(C) IMO are a modification of what is stated in 590.2(A).... Saying only 240.4, 240.5, 240.100, and in addition to those 240.101 for feeders. While both 590.4(B)+(C) mention overcurrent protection - neither address accessibility. :confused::confused::confused:

Correct, nothing in 590 addresses accessibility so that means 240.24(A) is still a requirement. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.