Temporary Service Post in Yard While Still Powering Home

Status
Not open for further replies.

NAL Electric

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I have a builder who needs to get cranes into the backyard of a home to replace damaged trusses. They are going to require the service drop to the house to be disconnected and retracted (it comes in from a pole in the yard halfway from the home to the street). He is asking for me to install a temp service around the pole location and temporarily feed the home by laying some type of protected wiring application across the driveway and tie it into the home panel. It should also be noted that the homeowners will not be on site during any of the construction process.

1st) What could I safely do to get power from the temp service over to the home?
2nd) How could I efficiently connect the temp power to the main panel without having to alter the neutral/ground bonds?
3rd) Is all of this extra work BS when I could simply install underground? The existing overhead mast will need replacing anyways (damaged by tree that hit the home).

All in all the homeowners will not be affected by power loss. I would like to push for a simple temp service if possible, with plenty of service outlets and to have them run cords during construction. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Todd0x1

Some random thoughts on this.

I'm guessing they want to keep power on in the house to run the heat? How long of a run from the temp pole to the house? How much current do you need at the house? Don't forget the temp pole will likely have GFCI protection on the 50 amp receptacles which would likely be a problem to plug the house into. Might want to get a temp pole with subfeed lugs in the box and rent camlock cable and tails to run from the temp pole to the house.

I haven't seen the service of course, but it seems like it wouldn't be that big of a deal to remove the MBJ while you have the temporary feeder in.

Sounds like this is an insurance job. Replacing the feed with underground might be viewed as an upgrade they won't pay for.

Paved driveway? Get these from your favorite rental place https://www.checkers-safety.com/cab.../5ch-yellow-jacket-cable-protector-yj5-125-yb they will fit a 6/4 in each channel, or 4/0 individual portable power cable. There are others that take larger diameter cables.

I would just bid the job as requested, and verbally suggest (verbally so as not to cause confusion or issues if its an insurance job and your emails get forwarded to adjusters, etc) the U/G run and ask if they want a bid for that as well.

SceneryDriver

Occupation
Electrical and Automation Designer
I'd run this with CAM feeder, and cable protectors over the driveway. We do stuff like this all the time in Entertainment. Temp 200A disco at the pole with CAM tails out, run feeder as necessary, and CAM tails into the existing panel. Easy to take out after the need is over too. If you need to rent CAM feeder and tails, call an Entertainment lighting company. They have bins of this kind of temp power stuff sitting around for just this type of application. Let me know where you're at, and I can probably recommend a place to rent the needed gear.

SceneryDriver

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Why can't you set the pole 5-10 feet from the house on the same line that the existing drop is following. Then you can just pipe the 10' or so- did a shallow trench and that would be an easy hook up

growler

3rd) Is all of this extra work BS when I could simply install underground?
I like the underground idea. If you get to bid on the entire job and do all the electrical that needs to be repaired/replaced.

You can probably do the whole job cheaper (make more money) with the underground but he may just want a bid for temp power.

NAL Electric

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I've greatly appreciate all of the feedback.

The builder had requested the temp service on the opposite side of the paved driveway from the home and wanted to be able to bring large equipment over the temporary power, and this is where I was stumped. Thank you @Todd0x1 and @SceneryDriver for the cable and protector suggestions. I was attempting to sort out why the builder insisted on refeeding the entire panel however it turns out he was only interested in keeping the oil burner going, which was sorted out later when this info was finally provided.

Thank you,
Nick

VirutalElectrician

Occupation
Sparky - Trying to be retired
I've greatly appreciate all of the feedback.

The builder had requested the temp service on the opposite side of the paved driveway from the home and wanted to be able to bring large equipment over the temporary power, and this is where I was stumped. Thank you @Todd0x1 and @SceneryDriver for the cable and protector suggestions. I was attempting to sort out why the builder insisted on refeeding the entire panel however it turns out he was only interested in keeping the oil burner going, which was sorted out later when this info was finally provided.

Thank you,
Nick
I was going to say, it might just be easier and cheaper to just get a generator for a few days.

Status
Not open for further replies.