Temporary Wiring for Feeders

Status
Not open for further replies.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
Are multiconductor cables required for temporary feeders, per 590.4? Or could cables with single conductors also qualify as a "cable assembly"?

590.4(B) - ....Conductors shall be permitted within cable assemblies or withing multiconductor cords or cables of a type identified in table 400.4 for hard usage or extra-hard usage.

For example, I can get type W portable power cable with up to 5 conductors, which would be allowed per the above quote. But type W portable power cable is also available in single conductors.

Am I reading the code right? The multiconductor cables are allowed, but not the single cables, even though they have the same listing as type W?

Art 590.4(B) also says "or cables of a type identified in Table 400.4 for hard usage or extra-hard usage." Go then to that table for info about flexible cords and usage (which includes types SC and W as extra-hard service with "1 or more conductors").

So.....
if single conductors are hard/extra-hard service (e.g. W or SC), they're always allowed under 590.4.
if single conductors are not hard/extra-hard service, they're only allowed for tests/emergencies
At least that's how I read things (and am looking at 2017), and empirical evidence suggests that this is correct ("everybody does it and nobody objects").

Status
Not open for further replies.