Ten foot tap rule

Dale001289

Can the tapped conductor based on the ampacity of upstream CB trip setting in lieu of the rating of the CB?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Sorry, but I don't understand your question. For starters, circuit breakers don't have "ampacity." Also, you mention "trip setting" and "rating of the CB." I am not sure what that means. Please try to restate the question more clearly.

Dale001289

Sorry, but I don't understand your question. For starters, circuit breakers don't have "ampacity." Also, you mention "trip setting" and "rating of the CB." I am not sure what that means. Please try to restate the question more clearly.

The Cb has an adjustable trip. It’s rated 600A, but the trip is set at 400A. For 10’ tap you can base the tapped conductores on ten percent of the CB protecting the feeder. So is that ten percent of 600 or ten percent of 400?

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
The Cb has an adjustable trip. It’s rated 600A, but the trip is set at 400A. For 10’ tap you can base the tapped conductores on ten percent of the CB protecting the feeder. So is that ten percent of 600 or ten percent of 400?

Ten percent of the setting, if the settings can be 'locked'.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Thank you for clarifying. I understand what you mean, and I see that the code wording "appears" to give us a choice. But I don't think it does.

Jim posted while I was typing. I was unaware that settings can be permanently locked. Not knowing that, my answer would have been 600. The words are rating of the OCPD. The CB rating is 600, whatever setting is selected.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
Thank you for clarifying. I understand what you mean, and I see that the code wording "appears" to give us a choice. But I don't think it does.

Jim posted while I was typing. I was unaware that settings can be permanently locked. Not knowing that, my answer would have been 600. The words are rating of the OCPD. The CB rating is 600, whatever setting is selected.
The settings do not need to be permanently locked.
The NEC allows something as simple as a cover over the setting adjustments that can be sealed with a cable tie.

This is similar to using fuses smaller than the full rating of a fusible switch.

Dale001289

The NEC allows something as simple as a cover over the setting adjustments that can be sealed with a cable tie.

This is similar to using fuses smaller than the full rating of a fusible switch.

This is very enlightening. thanks

Isaiah

Occupation
Electrical Inspector

Makes sense, I never would have thought of that.

kwired

Electron manager

Unfortunately someone very well may increase the fuse size someday, or cut the lock and increase breaker settingo_O