Tenant feeders above drop ceilings

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a mixed use building, retail on the 1st fl, condos on the upper floors. The meter center is on the 1st floor. In order to feed the condos above I have to route the feeders from the meters thru the retail ceilings then rise up thru the building.

Does anyone know of code issues or design issues with doing this?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Pierre C Belarge said:
Why pipe it?

Check with your local building department for local requirements.

Yes, depending on the building type cable may be permitted for the feeders.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
I assumed some things from the original post. Of course, we all know what happens when we assume things... :)
Sparky5150 said:
I have a mixed use building, retail on the 1st fl, condos on the upper floors. The meter center is on the 1st floor. In order to feed the condos above I have to route the feeders from the meters thru the retail ceilings then rise up thru the building.
I interpreted that to mean, "suspended ceilings". That remains to be seen.

Type SE cable installed as a feeder to an upstairs dwelling unit would have to comply with 338.10(B)(4)(a), which would lead us to 334.12(A)(2), IMO.

If it were a dropped ceiling, am I right?

(Edit to add: I need to learn more about building types.)

pipemaster

Banned
georgestolz said:
I assumed some things from the original post. Of course, we all know what happens when we assume things... :)

I interpreted that to mean, "suspended ceilings". That remains to be seen.

Type SE cable installed as a feeder to an upstairs dwelling unit would have to comply with 338.10(B)(4)(a), which would lead us to 334.12(A)(2), IMO.

If it were a dropped ceiling, am I right?

(Edit to add: I need to learn more about building types.)
No SE cable can not be run above a dropped ceiling. Pipe it or install M/C

I would be specifiying the feeder installed in conduit.

OK, if this is not a code issue, my second concern was that these feeders for condo owners would be routed thru retail spaces that will no doubt be undergoing renovation every few years exposing the feeders to damage during that renovation construction.

I was trying to avoid this but the alternate of trying to run underground then up chases is way too complicated. I will direct the contractor to install the feeder conduits tight to the structure above.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Trevor,

georgestolz said:
Type SE cable installed as a feeder -in a dropped ceiling, I meant to say- would have to comply with 338.10(B)(4)(a), which would lead us to 334.12(A)(2), IMO.

Does that make sense, or am I blowing smoke? Honest question. :)

pipemaster

Banned
infinity said:
What article prohibit SE cable above the hung ceiling?
see 338.10 which will send you to 334 parts 1&2 fron there read 334.12(A)1. The T.I space is a different occupancy that the R occupancy above. So It would have to be installed in a conduit system or M/C cable or some other approved sytem.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
georgestolz said:
Trevor,

Does that make sense, or am I blowing smoke? Honest question. :)

You are correct. I couldn't remember where the reference was to Article 334. I missed it when I glanced over Article 338. Thanks for pointing that out. In my first response I was thinking about MC cable through the hung ceiling space. I vaguely remembered a reference to the NM Article and was hoping someone would post it for me. Thanks George.

Status
Not open for further replies.