pierre

This is for anybody who may be able to help

A jurisdiction here has a licensing test that is,
1. Closed book
2. No calculator allowed
3. No scrap paper allowed
4. 75% to pass
5. No review of the test is allowed after taking it
6. Mixed multiple choice, fill in the blank, short essay.
7. Closed book

No one has passed the test in the last 2 offerings. This test is put together by the County licensing Board. The County is in NY State.

What can an individual do to change this? Can this be changed? An individual who has contacted me has his, NYC, Westchester, NY, Conn., NJ, Florida, Mass. licenses. They just keep telling him that he has failed the test.

Any help is appreciated, Thanks

Pierre

bennie

Esteemed Member
Re: Test Procedure?

This condition is usually to prevent any competition in the construction industry. It is the old traditional "visit but don't move here".

One group of people, years ago, had 10 tests for electrician, these were for ones who met their ethnic approval. The test number 11 was one Einstein would fail.

You should consult a labor attorney. Plus get many others involved, to split the fee.

Fight this, I'll donate a few bucks myself.

Good luck: Bennie

-marty

Pierre,

Sounds like way it was 30 years ago when my dad took the test. He have to get political pull just to be able to take the test.

After many years of people complaining the state now uses experior.

Maybe a call to Experior would help. They would be interested in the extra biz.

pierre

Thank You Bennie and Marty

There are about 20 people I know who have not been able to pass this test who have multiple licenses else where.Maybe I can get them together to fight this. Bennie thanks for the offer, I will keep you posted on the progress of this.

Thanks

Pierre

sjaniga

Pierre, I can understand your frustration, as I am also. :mad: Here in Michigan, our journeyman and masters test is so easy that our market is saturated with them. Even ten years ago when I took my masters, I walked out thinking this was to easy. The state gives three tests (80 questions, all multiple guess, with 3hours to complete) this wouldnt be so bad but all three have the exact questions, there just rearanged by order, that at least stops cheaters. Recently I have teamed up with other frustrated business owners and have went as far as sending one their secretaries down to take the test, she has met all of the requirements (8000 hours worked under a master, and 4 years) she passed the test on her second try, and has never worked in the field, she claims that after the test she went to her car and wrote down all the questions that she could remember, then studied them for the second go around. Just be careful of what you wish for, you just might get it.

pierre

Hello Sjaniga

I think anybody who has to take a contractors' test should not be 'given' anything more than he deserves. The difference is not being given a fair chance if you have worked for it. This industry is for 'all' who have put in the time and effort to make a better life for themselves. I also do not believe it should be given away.

Hope your 4th was a Grand one

Pierre

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

And I thought we in the South had a monopoly on the "Good Ol Boys Only" syndrom. :D

Roger

sjaniga

Piere, I am on the same page with you, when you say earn it, but when a person with absolutely no experience can pass the test, then we are giving them away. As for a contractors test, there isnt one in MI, just hold a masters and pay your dues every year. Anyway we had an awesome 4th, hope yours was well also.
Scott

bphgravity

To go along with this test, there is also a field work exam as followed:

You will be placed in a nuclear reactor and given a partial copy of the electrical layout. The electrical system has been tampered with. You have seventeen minutes to find the problem and correct it before the reactor melts down.

:D

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

Well, that (at least) I can handle easily enough. But the written part of the test scares me!

brian john

There are federal laws and most states have Right to Know laws. This was used in Washington DC years ago to fight this very problem. To prevent cover ups and other unfair practices.

I believe in good fair test that test the individual.

hurk27

Here In N.W.Indiana we have this very same problem by one county. I had just got through passing a city test the day before missing only one question the test is the same. but with only one differance this county inspector had his cards made up with lines on the bottom on some. And the others he will tell you that his secertary didnt have time to put them on all the cards so if you think the question pertained to the NEC we were to put the section down. the problem was not all the cards had these lines and since most of the questions did pertain to the nec I asked him what would happen if I put a artical # down and he didn't want it? he said he'd fail it so I guess I had to be able to read his mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.