Test question. General lighting load demand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowest

Occupation
Electrician
Hi, I have been struggling with this question.
A multi family building has a total general lighting load of 130kw. What is the calculated general lighting load?
Art 220.42 I have the answer from the back of the book of 45.94kw.
I can’t get this problem to work out.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I can't get there either. I am highly suspicious of an answer that has two significant digits to the right of the decimal place. Starting with a number as high as 130kW, any of the demand factors I know how to use would give you results in whole numbers. I think the person who wrote that question has made an error.,

Cowest

Occupation
Electrician
I can't get there either. I am highly suspicious of an answer that has two significant digits to the right of the decimal place. Starting with a number as high as 130kW, any of the demand factors I know how to use would give you results in whole numbers. I think the person who wrote that question has made an error.,
Agree.

Cowest

Occupation
Electrician
Re-read table 220.42.
Is it really 120,000?
I tell my students to write in "next 117,00" on the 35% line to avoid that mistake.
Thank you all. 117,000 makes sense to me.This has to be the right way to do this problem. This was a practice test for WV electrical contractors. 46.45kw was not an answer that’s why I kept getting confused.

Chamuit

Grumpy Old Man
Occupation
Electrician
Reread the table. (2017)
First 3000 at 100%
From 3001 to 120,000 at 35%
Remainder over 120,000 at 25%

So:
(3,000x1)+(117,000x.35)+(10,000X.25)=46450

Divide by 1,000 to get your k.

Status