Testing GFCI?s & EFCI's:

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwire

Staff member
But, I?m sorry I stand by what I say, a structured test regime is needed for every new installation or any alteration.

You can stand by whatever you want but you have not brought anything more to this discussion other than it is needed because you say so.

No facts or statistics to prove your view, only little antidotes of what you have seen happen.

Tony S

I think it comes down to ?liability?.

You did the installation, are you not responsible for it?

I provided a detailed list of the testing required for RCD?s along with the figures for threshold and response time. I wouldn?t call that anecdotal references.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

I provided a detailed list of the testing required for RCD?s along with the figures for threshold and response time. I wouldn?t call that anecdotal references.
Like I said before that type of testing is not required by our codes, and is not normal and customary and not doing it adds no additional liability over what you had because you did the installation.

That would all change if the testing was commonly preformed by most contractors here or required by our codes, but that is not the case at this time.

growler

?What was the cause of the fire??
?Electrical?
No forensic enquiry unless a death occurs or arson is suspected. It?s quick and easy.

The IET and NEC have both reacted the same way, more regulation applied to different but needless issues.

But, I?m sorry I stand by what I say, a structured test regime is needed for every new installation or any alteration.

I hate to bring this up but what do you think of wire nuts.

When working with the British system of wiring a wire nut is not allowed but we have used them for decades with little or no problems. For you guys they are taboo but for us they are the greatest thing since sliced bread.

We have a totally different way of doing things. If the correct materials are installed in a code compliant manner then the installation is considered safe. We have inspections to make sure correct materials are used and the installation is code compliant.

We don't seem to have any problems with new construction. Where the problem starts is over the next 80 or so years. People add and remodel without permits and hire unskilled persons to do electrical repairs. I see homes where there are a dozen junction boxes in the attic without covers. A box cover is the best protection against an electrical fire but you need to understand the need for a cover. I see taped or flying splices that are not even in boxes.

Would testing of these older homes help? It probably would solve a lot of problems. Is it going to happen? Probably not because homeowners vote and there are a lot of them.

romex jockey

Occupation
electrician
?

Preventative maintenance in any form is a safer solution Tony , in fact the examples (across the spectrum) of cost savings alone justify it.

But it's worth far less if the fundamental theory of those engaged in the detail are all aimed in the wrong direction.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2HyTRxzwXs

~RJ~

romex jockey

Occupation
electrician
Status
Not open for further replies.